09 Problems

rodmac

I've had a 2002 280 and now have a 2007 250. The newer one does have easier hot starting (but its smaller and the jetting is a bit different too) and will start in any gear with the clutch in. (when using ATF for gear lube)

I've shown a couple others who had starting probs with theirs a technique that works great, and thats to engage the kicker gear at TDC as someone else said and then use a quick push on that

stubby kickstart lever instead of a big jump up and follow though like you would on a big 4T. The short length of the lever and low turnover speed of the kicker gears seems to be the culprit.

If you do it right the kicker may not even hit the footpeg. If you are whacking it the peg real hard it wouldn't be doing the kicker mechanism any good.

Make sure you have the lever in the proper position on the spine to get the most rotation. If it doesn't work, then your pilot jetting may need some tweaking.

All my buddies Sherco's have a much longer lever with a higher kickover speed and start super easy without any special 'methods'.