The Little People

dixie

Dear john. (sounds ominous)

I feel i may have found what could be a problem with our governing body, are you loosing touch with the ordinary motorcycle enthusiast????

I tried to PM you on this subject but your in box was full,so i will shorten and take some details out of my origional note.

You seem to equate time riding a motorcycle with the right to an oppinion,I for one would disscount no one from an oppinion.

I do not like the been there done that style of debate but feel in this instance i must lower myself to that level , on anoter post ,that is in danger of being censored ,you stated you suspect i ride less than your good self,how this affects my right to an oppinion is beond me ,but here goes

I started riding in 1970 did my first trial in 78 ish, first scramble (MX for the young ones) in 80 ish,passed my road test in 80, first enduro in 82 ,i continued to ride untill a knee injury in 86, after a break i returned to trials in 93 but had continued to trail ride all the way through, in the foot and mouth crisis i was envolved in a serious road bike crash ,a car decided to do a u turn in my path,wich resulted in a broken back, after lots of help from good freinds i returned to trials ,again in 2008 i was hit off on a roundabout by a car that didnt see me , this time it was a double fractur disslocation that almost cost me my foot,but again i have returned by riding twinshock and classic trials for a few months now i am on my modern bike again,while injured i have taken my turn observing ,i have also helped mark out trials .

I am a member of MAG, ACU ,AMCA ,HOG ,VMCC. i have done in excess of 1000 organised events and ridden more than HALF A MILLION motorcycle miles,but never claimed to be anything more than an average clubman rider.I have owned more than 70 motorcycles covering every type from scooter to custom,never passed my car test and dont own a car, Now if in you oppinion that dosnt quallify me as a motorcyclist with an oppinion then i dont know what does ,and if like you say i ride less than you where do you get the time..

Keep up the good work and i mean that ,just because i dont agree with some of your policys or oppinions does not make me you enemy and iwould never personally attack you credentials ,so please dont doupt my enthusiasum for motorcycling,

Yours Dixie

No Dixie - No-where do I or anyone else deny you should have a right to opinion. No -where have I said this.

What I did say - What I do say and what I will always say , is that you have no right whatsover to equate those who happen to be involved with the Governing body with being " Officials" and now nothing about riders or riding. You are happy to quote that you rode Enduro's in the 80's - please have a look in the British Championship or any major event event programmes of these years - and you will see we must have been riding together - or for that matter in the programmes of many trials at about this time - so it cannot possibly make sense to imply that you have some sort of insight into what riders require - but others like me do not - I just cannot see the logic in any of that.

Equally - you have absolutely no right to talk about " we" paying my wages - when you or anyone else does not. You certainly have no right to infer about European expenses etc -it will not take the Daily Telegraph to sort out any of my expenses - you are welcome to scrutinise at any time - as long as either of us is prepared to make a substantial donation to a charity of your choice should we be in the wrong.

Additionally - you certainly have no right to tell me I am a " hobby motorcyclist" becuse I drive a car - this is just absurd. I too ride a motorcycle of some kind most days - and I too spent years and years on road motorcycles before ever getteing a car licence , but that actually means very little in the context of posts about FIM changing rules- which is the post you started.

It does apear that after starting a post - which as others have said was leading to some good debate - you choose to go off on a tangent and tell me that I was missing the point - and somehow becuase I am an Official - that am more likely to miss such a point .

The hard fact is - that I believe not one person who has read your posts has any idea what point it is you are trying to make.

My initial reply - was to try to explain exactly what the position was to date - and how we had arrived there - and while this was obviously of no benefit for you - others may have felt that some background information may have helped the debate along.

Now - I believe I am man enough to apologise to you if any way you have been miss-aligned - and without doubt you have clearly indicated that you are an active " doer" especially as an Observer rather than someone who just tells everyone else what to do.

BUT - I honestly and sincereley - however many times I read you post do not understand exacty what you are trying to say . This is the crux of the matter - what exactly is your point - regardless of who is replying to you ?

My point john is now and was at the time of posting in my humble opinion the spin off of the international rueling could and should benifit grass roots sport........

It appears lots of people differ in there opinion but at no point did i start telling others they could not comment because they where not quallified to, thats what you did......

I never have doupted you best intentions or commitment too work,But in my opinion part of the problems we are seeing at all levels is rules for rules sake and the merry go round continues, stop no stop minders no minders, you (not you personally) seem to think things can only survive as a money making businuess,Is that really the point,massif teams with huge budgets,blow the little people..

Well as a little person I (that means me no one else)think things were better when people got together an shared a good days sport,Motorcyclists in general are there own worst enemy,allways tring to sub devide and break off into smaller groups,and love to wind each other up,but there is no reason to be rude ,wind up yes but personal slurs arnt good.

My point is let everone have an opinion argue your side ,pick fault with others opinion ,thats what debate is all about but dont presume we are all wasters ,or dont ride.

Dixie