Will A 1980 Xr200 Engine Fit Into A Tlr Reflex?

the26incher

As the Hot Rod credo states: "Any engine will fit any car" I assume this applies to bikes as well.

Just depends on how much chopping and fabricating you want to do.

:mellow:

I am not sure how direct of a fit it will be.

I too have a Reflex and yep as a road bike definitely needs some more juice.

I think the TLR alternator has more coils for generating electricity than the XR. The XR runs without a battery and seems to have only 2 wires coming out of the alternator one for the ignition and one for the lights. Don't know if swapping the alternators might be an option?

yes the engine cases and the bolt holes are the same fitment, but the ignition, flywheel, cam, and voltage is different, so you will need the ign coil, and a few other bits to make it work.

the best thing is to put the xr head, barrel, cam, and carb on the tlr, but i know the carb will not fit straight on as the tlr carb is much smaller everyway.

if you want anymore info on what the way these engines vary i have all of the following honda's:-

83 tlr 200,

82 xr200r,

82 xl 185,

83 xl125 mono,

84 xlr pari-dakar 200 (elec start),

2005 crf230f,

and i have studdied all of the various designs and differences, and have managed to get quite a bit of info and manuals and parts books, and i have rebuilt several of these engines and bikes since 1995.

you can email me on

plugspanner at hotmail.com