Bantam/cub Brake Shoes

martyd

Thanks Charlie

What do you mean elongate the pivot did you file a larger "Hole" in the shoes??

I think that i am getting closer to a alloy hub

Is it Alan witton that does these?

Alsois there a alloy brake plate aswell?

Marty D

Hi Guy's

Hi Marty,

First, yes Alan does the hub's with alloy back plate etc. and set up right.

Second To elongate the half moon side of the pivot you just need too, with a fine round file , file the shoes from the centre outwards slightly on the left and right, just so this helps centralise the brake shoes when pressure is applied, it is amazing how distorted Tiger cub and Bantam back plates are, I have in the past removed and made up new pivots on the lathe and then lined them up with a straight edge through a line from the cam to the pivot making sure this passed through the center of the spindle hole before re brazing it to the plate. I also do away with the riveted on brake retaining arm and make up one with a one bolt fixing, as the old arm not only being weak at the slot, but also tends to pull the plate to one side. I have also had new levers laser cut with twice the amount of adjustment. and in different shapes. You can keep on.

Regards Charlie.

• 2 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the mention DAVETOM. ireline old shoes with a lining that will work underwater or oil . it can besupplied std thickness or oversize and i can do any machining needed to the drum or assy.

ian

classic brake services

Just to add that although Ian at Classic Brake Services does a lot of brakes for classic road racers, he actually rides trials and so understands exactly what is required for that application. Proper job.