Kawasaki Kt250 Setup

herman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK...back to the OP. One thing you can do is to move your bottom shock mount fwd 1.5 in. then run the 13.5 in shocks and the bike will turn much better. The forks stops can be ground off a lot to make them turn farther. I too use TY fork springs in combination with 1 of the KT springs to get the length correct. the bike has plenty of torque and does not need a flywheel wgt. especially if you use the B&J RACING KX rod/CR piston with a cyl spacer. All kinds of weight can be taken off the bike that is useless. The muffler is ridiculously heavy. I built my own from the front part of the stocker hooked to the rear of a 1992 RM250 silencer and it came out 1/2 as heavy! And is repackable. You need to build or get a skidplate on the thing or suffer the busted case blues if you ride in sharp rocks. the stock mesh stuff is too narrow and a joke. A guy in TN built me one. UNI makes a good air filter for them. My bars are off from a SherpaT 199 (I'm not too tall though so you might like taller bars or risers). Finally I run a Clarke 1.5 gal Honda Elsinore plastic tank #11336 that takes care of the rusty tank-can't find a petcock blues. I say you set these bikes up right and they are a match for a Spanish bike any day. Oh yea.....widen your own footpegs with some steel strapping, toward the back so they are about 1 3/4 in. wide.....Don't buy those expensive ones. Plastic fenders, Motion-Pro cables, dogleg levers and you have one that finally works .

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of work involved in making that silencer work?

Not really - you need to cut the pipe part of the silencer about 60mm short from memory, and made a hanging bracket from a piece of 25x6 ali bar.

I used a Miller silencer on the exhaust I made for my KT. I'd thought I was getting one like they used to make for the Bultacos back in the day, but it was just a generic absorption silencer with an aluminum extrusion for a body. You can probably find a similar silencer off an MX bike.

KT250%20new%20exhaust%20pipe%2030a.jpg

is my KT.

mgreenmillermuffler1.jpg

is what I thought would be in the box when it arrived.

cheers,

Michael