Linkage Bearings...swingarm

manx2day

Hi, I'm in the middle of getting my bearings done and i'm struggling to get them out of the swingarm. Are there any helpful tips out there to help me out? I have the 'top hat' bushes out but i can't get the rest out. Any help will be very much appreciated. cheers

Hi, I'm in the middle of getting my bearings done and i'm struggling to get them out of the swingarm. Are there any helpful tips out there to help me out? I have the 'top hat' bushes out but i can't get the rest out. Any help will be very much appreciated. cheers

Sometimes a couple of long sockets and some "threaded rod" will work as driving them out with a hammer can be rough on the surfaces.

One long socket should be internally large enough for the bearing shell to fit into, the other should be slightly smaller than the bearing shell. Put one socket on each side of the bore the bearings are in, put the threaded rod (small enough to fit down the holes where the wrench is normally attached, I find 3/8th inch drive sockets work well) through the sockets, put a nut on each end and tighten them. The smaller socket will be drawn into the bore and push the bearing shells out the other side into the large socket. Kinda hard to describe, but I think you should get the idea. You can also install bearings this way, after tapping the shell into the bore in a little, and is a lot less stress on the bearing shell than a hammer and punch.

Jon

Warm them up with a hot air gun first just done mine on my beta and the side where the chain is was dead easy but the other side were absolute B$@!**"/ I had to get the blow torch vice impact driver and an old socket with a nice sized hammer. Mind you they have probably been in there for about five years.

Got them done, used Jon's method and it worked a treat, will be using that again when the time comes!! Cheers!!

Only thing is, i got it all back together and not only discovered that the swingarm pivot bearings need doing (annoying) but the shock is NOT rebounding (even more annoying). :rolleyes: I put my weight onto the pegs and it just sags and doesn't come back up like it should. I have to pull it back up. I loosened off the nuts sligthly to see if i had tightened them too much but it wasn't to be! Can't see anything that would be stopping it, so does that sound like a knackered shock to you guys? it was working fine on sunday!

Got them done, used Jon's method and it worked a treat, will be using that again when the time comes!! Cheers!!

Only thing is, i got it all back together and not only discovered that the swingarm pivot bearings need doing (annoying) but the shock is NOT rebounding (even more annoying). :rolleyes: I put my weight onto the pegs and it just sags and doesn't come back up like it should. I have to pull it back up. I loosened off the nuts sligthly to see if i had tightened them too much but it wasn't to be! Can't see anything that would be stopping it, so does that sound like a knackered shock to you guys? it was working fine on sunday!

If it was working fine before, it may be that something is hanging up in the linkage system. The two front bolts on the dogbones have a special short head on them for clearance, I bet you put them in backwards.

Jon

I replaced mine with an AllBalls kit. The ends of the two bushes that go in the bearings in the swing arm should meet in the middle, the larger diameter on mine were too big to fit in the holes on each side of the swing arm against the seals and I needed to grind them down half a mm.

Before I did it was like you described and they were tight enough to stop the shock from rebounding.

Everything was in the right way round!! I made sure of that! ;)

Mine was an allballs kit too. It is binding on the bushes. Both the bushes seem flush with the swingarm which is the most annoying part, i'm gonna play with it tonight and sort it, now i know whats wrong with it, i'm not so worried. Atleast i don't have to spend