This Is Trials

alan bechard

Hello Folks,

We have spoken of this in the past, and I am bringing it up again.

I would like to see a short, 5 to 10 minute movie, made to introduce people to Trials.

It would need to be kept short to hold the folks attention, for the people that had more interest, then they could look at other already produced movies to learn more. The idea here is to just be a "Spark" hopefully to light a fire in a new rider.

One of the problems that many of us have encountered as we lent out movies of Trials is that many people who are not riders, who watch the video's come away saying something along the lines of wow, that is impressive! I could never do that, or let my kids do something like that.

The concept would be something like 30 seconds lead of the top level stuff, then an introduction to the bikes, a brief explanation of the rules, a short run down of various classes and levels then scenes, shots from Youth trials on up through the classes progressing to national level or possibly world level competition. The camping, family, positive social atmosphere would be highlighted. The end would then have some means of getting into contact with the local riders in the persons area.

I would expect that Trials enthusiasts would take this movie and lend it out to people that were considering riding. We could bring it too shops that sold bikes and ask them to include it on their "loop" play systems showing movies so that folks already interested in motorcycles caught a glimpse of Trials. We could hand it too the news media as a quick intro into what we were doing, or they could use portions of it in their brodcast. It could be used when working with social groups such as Boy Scouts or Rotary when asking them to assist in the scoring of our events. I think there would be many applications for this item.

Now comes the hard part, I found a Trials enthusiast who is also a film maker, who has the time and interest to do it. He has the capabilities, experience and knowledge to make it come about. My part needs to be the providing of capital to finance this idea. The goal I am shooting for is $1500 to cover the production and inital burning of DVD's

There are several avenues that I will investigate into getting this money. We could sell advertising on it, we could ask importers, manufacturers and dealers to contribute to the project, we could look for outside sources of funding or we could look to ourselves, the trials riding community. I think it would benefit a production of this type to have it with the only advertising in it being the advertisement for Trials itself.

I would like to think that I could pre-sell, the idea of this video to 100 people willing to take a risk and put $15 on the line in the belief that this idea would be beneficial to the trials community as a whole. There is a certain risk in this in that I would not want the disc copywrighted or protected and it would be given out with the idea that it would be duplicated and passed around. If someone was of the mind, they could sit on the sideline until this project comes to fruition, then make copies and be at the same spot, but I believe that the Trials community as a whole is not like that.

So,,,, take a minute and let me know what you think,

Thoughts of what should be in the movie, or if you would be willing to support it by pre-paying for 1 to 94 DVD's (I have commitments for 6 so far)

My contact information is included if you would rather not post on a BB.

Thanks

Sign me up for $15 worth also. I wonder also if it might also be a good idea to put some mention of how much easier trials is on the pocketbook. If an motocross rider wants to give trials a try he doesnt have to have $5000 invested in a mx bike and another $5000 in a trials bike. Unlike mx he can do just as well on a $1500 8-9 year old modern bike untill he gets bit with trials. Ive noticed from the uk forums where its really popular there seems to be a lot of riders still using the older bikes.

Great idea Alan, Ill take one it sounds a excellent idea and should introduce trials well. I like the idea of showing trials from all over the spectrum, because when people see Dougie etc then like you said they don't beleive they can do it. $15 Well spent :D

Edited by craftypiggy

Al:

I'm in.

Actually I have been looking for that for a long time, and posted last year searching for similar stuff. I talked with Bill Markham, got stuff from Ringo and Al B, but could not find any finished product of what we wanted

I wanted something showing club level trials instead of world level for exactly the same reasons: After any demo we would hear over and over:

a. That's neat but I could never do that.

b. Do they do that around here?

Last year, my kids and I put together a 13 minute video, from home footage using Pinnacle Studio software. My first ever experience with this stuff. It turned out grainy, somewhat boring on the announcers (us), and not much for fancy transitions or music, but it was very well received at the IMS motorcycle show that came to Mpls. It was a prototype, and proved the need is there.

My daughter also did a brochure in computer class as school, in Microsoft Publisher.

The goals of the video and brochure we did were:

1. Introduce Trials as a sport

2. Focus on the entry levels

3. Promote the local club.

How we used: Steve A was doing a promo for the World Round, so we had three videos set up and running endless tapes. 1 was World level, 1 was national level, 1 was the club video we made. This worked very well for several reasons: a. Gave people the exposure to all levels, no matter what their interest. B. Gave a natural contact point, we could approach them, explain there were three levels being shown, and it was an ice breaker for beginning conversation. We could then explain what they were looking at, redirect to another level on other tv, pass out a brochure, etc.

We had a poster, a tabletop of misc handouts, old issues of Trials Comp, pocket sized schedule cards, and brochures. 3 TV

Al

I'm the ATRA's club rep for the Edmonton Alberta bike show & presently we use video's & DVD's of World rounds & RYP video's at the shows.

I too feel that while the video's attract attention, people tend to say "Looks awesome, but, there's no way I could/would do it". It does help that local riders are riding indoors, so that the public can see Joe Blogg's riding & think it's acheivable. But a DVD to help promote the sport can only do good in my eyes.

Put me down for 2.

Taff

p.s. Will it be available for the January bike show? :D

I've produced a few videos for the American Trials Association here in So. California.

This is the intro for a promo video showing club events,scoring and differnet class riders riding sections. Total run time on complete video 25min.

ATA PROMO INTRO 4.9mb

This is the intro for the El Trial de Espana video.

EL TRIAL INTRO 9.1mb

Please right click and save target as to your computer.

Edited by Dabnabit

I especially like the ATA one.

I've always maintained that watching guys fly up giant vertical walls is cool, but it would scare the bajeebers out of someone considering getting into the sport.

Anybody can look at an MX rider flying over a giant jump and imagine him/herself doing that same jump...just lower and slower.

But what happens when they imagine themselves trying to get up that same rock.

• 4 weeks later...
sport.

Anybody can look at an MX rider flying over a giant jump and imagine him/herself doing that same jump...just lower and slower.

But what

Exactly. Reality or not, most people can envision themselves as Tiger woods in golf, Richard Petty in NAscar, or J MGrath in MX. They THINK I could do that, just a little bit slower. Trials: Not. ( I do this sport, and I can't even imagine myself doing those things.)

Anyway, I now have the stuff I referenced above on a a CD. Not readable on DVD, but does play on computer Windows Media player. The video is in three parts, all the master for .doc stuff is there, the brochure in publisher and pictures. Video quality is not great, but the idea is there, and it does work as is.

Al I don't have your address anymore.

Anyone else who wants copies, send me an address, and send a few bucks to Andy to support the board.

kevincj46 at hotmail.com