03 Sy 250 Oils And Things

houseape1000

Hi, Ive just bought an 03 sy 250 r and want to spend a day on it before changing the oil, and other things.

My question is - Is the little bolt, about 40mm up from the bottom of the crank case the oil level indicator.

What is the best gear oil.

What is the best premix oil - I currently use " silkolene comp 2 plus sx "

At what ratio, I heard 70 -1 ( is this 16ml per 1000 )

What fuel, Unleaded or high octane super unleaded.

A;so, what plug.

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to start off right, and then if things go wrong they only go a little bit wrong...

All help gratefully recieved and accepted......any advice is good advice........as long as it isn't sh*t advice.

Please be aware, I have downloaded the manuals and stuff from the hell team, but thought it best to seek the wisdom of the end user.

Thanks,

Andy.

Edited by houseape1000

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Andy, yes your right in thinking that little bolt next to the kickstart is to check your oil level.As for oils i used Motul 10/30 trans oil in mine & Castrol TTs two stroke oil 70ml to 5ltr petrol.The spark plug was an irideum ngk cant remember the number of it but i had it in the bike for 2 years before i sold it.Be carefull of the sump plug bolt as they'r made of chocolate.Hope this helps you out.Check out the scorpa blogs on the site very helpfull.

Slack and Godzilla are bang on the money there - Two other tips - this might be obvious but make sure you use 10/30 trans oil not motor oil they are different and - the SY tends to run a bit rich in standard set up - the first thing to do is invest in a new air filter element and oil it lightly - a quick spray inside and out with filter oil and squeeze it through - make sure you keep it spotless - you could also try one size down on the main jet.

Paul Mac

Edited by paulmac

Thanks for the input, I've only just got the bike, and rode it for the first time on sunday, I can't believe the difference between my old 96 and the new un, worlds apart.

Its a bit soon for me to be messing around with carb settings just yet, but with my inquisitive nature it will only be a matter of time.......

Also, Ive just got in from the garage, been trying to remove the sump guard and replace the bolts, a bit of preventative maintenance - if you will, but one bolt will not move, the countersunk hex set has worn and metric nor imperial keys will remove it....bugger.....I was only going to give it a good clean around those hard to reach - rarely cleaned bits, Ive give in.......for now....

Anyways, thanks.

" why do today what can be put off till tommorrow "

Hi Andy, yes your right in thinking that little bolt next to the kickstart is to check your oil level.As for oils i used Motul 10/30 trans oil in mine & Castrol TTs two stroke oil 70ml to 5ltr petrol.The spark plug was an irideum ngk cant remember the number of it but i had it in the bike for 2 years before i sold it.Be carefull of the sump plug bolt as they'r made of chocolate.Hope this helps you out.Check out the scorpa blogs on the site very helpfull.

ok, I give up ....what is the sump plug bolt ?

Slack and Godzilla are bang on the money there - Two other tips - this might be obvious but make sure you use 10/30 trans oil not motor oil they are different and - the SY tends to run a bit rich in standard set up - the first thing to do is invest in a new air filter element and oil it lightly - a quick spray inside and out with filter oil and squeeze it through - make sure you keep it spotless - you could also try one size down on the main jet.

Paul Mac

..yo, paul .........could you explain the characteristics of tranny oil compared to engine oil ...regardingclutch action ??

Can Anybody tell me the paint code for the plastics, I am going to repaint over the winter, and what pad do I need to order for the handlebars ?, I think theyre standard but I dont know what they are....

Also, should the rear mudguard be white or blue, Ive seen this year 'sy' with both, Im going blue though I think....

Can Anybody tell me the paint code for the plastics, I am going to repaint over the winter, and what pad do I need to order for the handlebars ?, I think theyre standard but I dont know what they are....

Also, should the rear mudguard be white or blue, Ive seen this year 'sy' with both, Im going blue though I think....

dude...go blue ..its so much sexier......mass

• 4 weeks later...