03 Sy 250 Oils And Things

houseape1000

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is one nasty looking sump plug, Mine was tight, started to round off, I hammered a socket on and managed to remove the plug. squeezed together chocolate wrapper has more structural integrity than the material that sump plug is made of. Replaced it with a Hell team one - good kit. took about a week to arrive from Australia.

yikes!....is this some kinda jap revenge ...stupid material for such a part!....how did you ever figure out the ninja 250 thingy?

you could forget it and just use the drain plug under the shifter ....its easier

Masso, I had a 250 Ninja parts engine lying in the garage, so I checked.

Unfortunately you have to remove the sump plug. The drain plug under the shifter is not enough. I removed it, and laid the bike on its side for maybe 24 hours. Only got a little oil out…

Btw, where is salt-spring island?

Edited by G520

Masso, I had a 250 Ninja parts engine lying in the garage, so I checked.

Unfortunately you have to remove the sump plug. The drain plug under the shifter is not enough. I removed it, and laid the bike on its side for maybe 24 hours. Only got a little oil out

dude...saltspring is in trials heaven!.....west coast of canada near vancouver....lots of sinle track forest riding ....masso

Interesting, thanks. I took a look in google earth. Seems like a really beautiful place. Maybe I will take a look sometimes, when I visit my sister in Vancouver..

Sorry to wander offtopic, I will keep focused from now on.. :)

Interesting, thanks. I took a look in google earth. Seems like a really beautiful place. Maybe I will take a look sometimes, when I visit my sister in Vancouver..

Sorry to wander offtopic, I will keep focused from now on.. :)

now, you gotta admit...google earth is some kinda wonderful!.........hey, I think I'll go over to paris today, have a look around, no. I'll go to mems and check out the scorpa factory!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have just finally got round to changing the gear oil and hey presto.......rounded the plug off !

Armed with the info supplied on here I set about removing the sump guard, and found myself a good six point socket (12mm I think). I reached around the bike (yes I gave it a reach around) so as to pull the ratchet and socket upto the bolt head. One slight careful bit of a turn later and I'm shaking my head in disbelief... :biggrinsanta:

The bolt head had nowhere to bend in my six point socket, there is no way it could round off. How wrong was I.

Anyway, better luck tomorrow I hope.

Does anybody know what thread the plug is cos I might just drill it out. and re-tap.

Hi all. I have just finally got round to changing the gear oil and hey presto.......rounded the plug off !

Armed with the info supplied on here I set about removing the sump guard, and found myself a good six point socket (12mm I think). I reached around the bike (yes I gave it a reach around) so as to pull the ratchet and socket upto the bolt head. One slight careful bit of a turn later and I'm shaking my head in disbelief... :biggrinsanta:

The bolt head had nowhere to bend in my six point socket, there is no way it could round off. How wrong was I.

Does anybody know what thread the plug is cos I might just drill it out. and re-tap.

WHAT ABOUT VISE GRIPS?

well, you can still drain your oil using the drain bolt on side under the shifter[one with copper washer]

Please don

Why has nobody suggested taking the clutch cover off ?

It would only take a minute and easy to do, or is there another problem that I don't yet know about ?

I tried the chisel, then the vise-grips and no joy.......I usually like a challenge but could do without this one. Its 1-0 to the sump plug. :biggrinsanta: