Ty Fork Swap

ausy300pro

Has anybody used any other forks on their TY175 ? I know the usual thing is to upgrade to TY250 forks (don't want mono ones as I want to keep it all period stuff) but I am having trouble getting TY250 twinshock forks at a reasonable price, I was thinking about early DT250 forks or something similar, obviously might have to play about a little with spring and damping rates but would be happy to do this to improve the front end/steering on my TY (Majesty) 175, Cheers for any input

• 6 months later...

TY250 forks are actually shorter than TY175, but when run flush with the top clamps provide the same front height as TY175 forks set to the standard 20mm above the top clamps.

TY250 fork tubes are stiffer in bending, hence they flex less (so the steering feels better in dry rocky riding)

TY250 forks when standard have a higher spring rate than standard TY175 forks and alternate springs are available (so they suit heavier riders).

Having used both types of forks on my TY175 and weighing 94kg, I would say it is a worthwhile mod for heavier riders on TY175s.

ausy300pro is spot-on about the appearance. While later model forks would probably have a better damping action, the TY250 forks do look era-correct on a TY175 or Majesty.