Thinking About Buying A New Evo?

dave

As a very un-regular topic starter / forum poster on Trials Central, I thought my views on the 2010 Evo are a good enough reason to end my silence.

Ive been regularly reading through all the recent topics in which various people are pondering on buying a new Evo, here are my reasons why you should:

1. After owning a new Beta every year since 2004, the 2010 is the first one I have immediately preferred to its predecessor.

2. Build quality is noticeably better than previous years. Before riding a new bike I always pretty much strip everything down, mainly to check if things have been greased properly, this years definitely has.

3. So far not 1 bolt has come loose.

4. Carburetion was in my opinion perfect from day 1.

5. General quality and attention to detail is to me superior to rival makes, especially things like plastics, stickers, nuts and bolts etc. This applies to both the 2009 and 2010 Evo.

6. The minor tweaks the factory claim to have made actually seem to make a positive difference. Having kept my 2009 two weeks into having my 2010 after the initial running in period I was able to compare them directly, and I can honestly say that although the 2009 is still a nice bike to ride the changes to the 2010 really are for the better. The suspension seems to react quicker and the whole front end just seems lighter and more responsive.

7. The general service and support I have received from both Aklams and Lampkins over the years has been impeccable.

I liked my 2010 bike so much I even treated it to some tasty extras..

post-28-1257274376.jpg

post-28-1257274389.jpg

post-28-1257274403.jpg

Hope my input helps you make your mind up.

Dave

Nice post Dave :thumbup: I was very impressed with Evo, felt very easy to ride and very light compared to the 4rt but there again a Gixxer thou would as well, as you said carburation was spot on with the three I rode,unlike many Rev 3's in the past. Something very very special will have to come along though to part me with Gerty!! :thumbup:

agree with your thoughts Dave.. I had a lot (and I mean a lot) of trouble with last bikes rev3 200 ( I have to buy 2 every 2 years cause the missus likes to ride as well) The 200 I have is spot on for me ..havn't been so enthusiastic about a bike for maybe 20 years. I really like look of your frame protectors dumb qustion but where from? (is it julian wigg).. Can't possibly comment on the footrests as I make and sell my own (see www.trialscontrol) . I have to add also that if it were not for the exeptional service from john lampkin, beta's would have been right off my shopping list. as it is now I would rccomend 2010 model to anybody. We're off to France now for 3 days trial in Aveyron (google moto club12) proper job!

Nice looking bike Dave, Aside from other minor updates. I think Beta only modified the rear suspension, I'm guessing with a firmer spring. Wouldnt that transfere more weight to the front? I have an 09 290. I like the bike very much. I installed firmer springs front and rear for my 250lb/113.4kg rider weight. With a little bit of tinkering i was able to get a very nice feel front and rear. The suspension is now plusher in initial travel and firms up smoothly offering better bottoming resistance than stock. I am curious to know how the arrow pipe works. Is it louder? How does it chage the power? Can you detect any weight savings over the stock unit while riding the bike, and does it have a built in sparky?

Edited by Liviob

Pete_Scorpa3

Thanks for your comments on the welding of the footrests and hangers, me and a colleague made them at work. They are computer modelled, laser cut and pulse welded in a homemade open topped purge tank. The ones on my bike I have made 10mm lower to compensate for me been quite tall, and I have narrowed up the pivot point from the standard set up too effectively get more tread in the same space. They have recently survived the full Scott trial ultimate test and I may look at making more if there is enough interest in them.

Chewy

The Kevlar guards I had custom made by a friend of mine, they also have survived the Scott and still look as good as new. PM me if you would like his details.

Liviob

The more I seem to ride the new bike the more I seem to think that the changes I noticed are actually caused by the arrow exhaust and the carburetion rather than the suspension changes. I recently put the standard exhaust back on to use for the Scott and it completely changed how the bike felt and ran again. Although the power was still there, the delivery seemed a bit more docile and it just didn