Best Mods For A Montesa Cota 247?

tonypcota247

I have a 1974 Montesa Cota 247T and I would love to hear any suggestions this board might have for upgrades and modifications for this Cota.

I have installed a new Michelin rear tube type tyre, a new Vee Rubber front tire, both with new tubes and rim strips.

I have a new 9 tooth front sprocket and a 56 tooth rear with new chain. The bike runs well using the stock well worn Amal carb, along with a strange looking non stock airbox that works well. I need a new front brake cable, swing arm bushings are shot. I have set of after market weld on footpegs to replace the horrible stock 1 inch wide pegs. Should I locate them down and back??

I have heard about getting the stock Amal carb re-sleeved and rebuilt. Where might I get this carb rebuilt??? I do not think I want a Mikuni.

The side stand and the side stand mounting bracket are missing, but I'd love to find a replacement sidestand!

I think I will need new brake shoes soon, any shoes that are better than stock?

My toolbox and tool kit are missing too.

Thanks for all input !!!

Love this website!

Tony M. Powers

Unionville, NC USA

• 1 year later...

Man the tool box is missing because it is a pain in the a*** - just gets in the way. It is just soooo much better without it - mine is in my spares box.

I just fitted wide pegs to mine off eBay Foot Pegs 1991-2003 Kawasaki KDX 200 220 250 KX 125 250 - as expected the mount was too thick but being steel they were easy to grind down and they now fit pretty well ( I only fitted today so letting then settle in before final adjustment) - they cost $27.31 delivered to Oz from China - in 7 work days.... and they look very well made. A test ride and boy are they more comfortable than the original narrow Cota foot bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was a kid in the '70's I've been cutting teeth into a steel strap, wrapping it around footpegs and welding it on.

It works OK until they fill with mud...then they STILL work better than the stock things.

Some REAL footpegs would be cool.

As the OP asked...does anybody move them?

The front feels a little heavy to me, and the bike is tall.

I'm thinking that a little back and down might help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not sure what the original brake shoes are like, but you could get water grooved shoes if you don't already have them. Tyre pressures are obviously a big one, on the rear it depends how many rim locks you have. I only have one rim lock on the rear of my 348, so I don't go below 4psi, I usually run 6psi front.

I too use an Amal, I had a Mikuni, but swapped it just because I prefer Amal and mine actually ran better on the Amal. Perhaps the Minuki was just jetted wrong. I would guess you already have a have a decompressor fitted on a 247? If not, they come in handy, personally, I find it easier to control hill descents with a decompressor. It does however scare spectators when it occasionally goes bang!