07 290 2t Ignition Timing

harvee

hi, I'm in a process of inspecting/checking possibly retarding the ignition timing of my 2T / 07 / 290 according to excellent instructions given by Wayne.

Only challenge is that I cannot find the factory mark on the engine case. Flywheel marking is clear and visible but the case marking not.

Has anybody experienced the same, any tip or advice appreciated.

/Harvee

I retarded the ignition on my 05 290 and cannot recall the stator plate position being marked. I just measured the amount of gap between the edge of the slot and the screw head in case I wanted to go back to standard. You could just use a permanent marker pen.

When retarding the ignition do it by a fair amount or you won't notice the difference.

Scragg

Been off my bike for about a year :wub: so when I re-started practicing I wound the timing back to get back in the swing of things...2 outings later and I've put the timing forward to standard again B)

To para-phrase someone else on TC; the best time and money you could spend on a trials bike is on petrol and practicing.

If you don't like my sermon on peg-time here's the last word on timing('07 Sherco 290) from the Witchdoctor General of the TC Sherco forum.........T-T-Timing :icon_salut:

Oh yes, there is the old piccie! You can read down the thread, but basically, you can set it back about 3mm for a mid setting, or 6mm for a slow setting. And I would not recommend slowing beyond that point.

Mine is currently at the -3mm setting, and will still chug along quite well, yet has decent response. :chairfall: