Explorer

mick annick

Other than the tank and seat, what is the difference between an Explorer and an MAR please (I'm thinking '75/76 here)?

I fancy having a go at long distance trials and don't want to mess with my current MAR so am looking for another bike, but Explorers are rare, so it may be easier to modify an MAR if it's just bolt on parts, then I can always undo it to keep the purists (me!) happy.

I've been toying with a new machine but nothing inspires me - CCM SR-40 - expensive, fragile(?), Beta Alp 4.0 - heavy, little ground clearance, Kawasaki KLX250 - a bit lightweight? I don't want an enduro style machine so have ruled out everything else, hence thinking back to an Ossa...

Mike

Hi - I think that the Explorer has a similar history to the Bultaco Alpina. The early models were MAR/Sherpa's with a bigger tank and a cumfy seat. The later models had frame, head angle and gearing changes.

If you do buy an Explorer be aware that some event organisers regard them as trials bikes -not trail bikes - and will only let them in for no award. I ride an Alpina and have now been told this on two occasions.

If you do buy an Explorer be aware that some event organisers regard them as trials bikes -not trail bikes - and will only let them in for no award. I ride an Alpina and have now been told this on two occasions.

Thanks - I hadn't heard that before so will check it out.

What events have you ridden?

Mike

HI,

A bit off-topic, but this is related to a recent debate in the MCC (Motor Cycling Club) after a competitor entered one of our overnight LDTs on a Beta Rev-3. He finished, but won a silver medal - not the coveted gold which is often achieved on a very diverse, and unlikely, range of machinery. In the end the club decided to do nothing about it as the MCC events aren't really trail or 'classic' bike specific and are open to all. Whilst most competitors use a trail bike or old British machine, competitors on conventional trials bikes never seem to have done that well awards-wise - probably due to the comfort factor. MCC trials are generally 200 miles and often much longer in distance.

The ACU rules for the trail bike championship, or at least my understanding of them, are pretty clear - a trail bike must have factory fitted passenger footrests to be eligible for the championship class. I understand the Explorer and Alpina both have this attribute. But, if you dig down deep enough to find a definitive set of rules that covers everything the result can be a rule-makers (and scrutineers) nightmare.

Ultimately I can see a specific or open class for machines such as the Scorpa 'Long-Rides', Montesa 4RTs with a tank and seat unit and Bultaco Alpinas. This doesn't have to be the 'premier' or championship class and, in my opinion, is favourable to a 'no-award' policy, because it keeps LDTs open to all, and still allows them to compete for an award. And keeps the enjoyment factor - what LDTs are all about.

Cheers.