Gearbox Oil Going Gry Very Fast ?

matt_urban

Could be a couple of things

Easiest first -Check no oil leak from clutch gaskets both circular rubber one and the funny shaped one further back. If oil can get out water can get in. If you've not ridden in water then this may not be the problem.

Next - check coolant loss. This can dissapear through the water pump seal into the oil. Still fairly easy to fix by changing oil seal BUT the casings are known to corrode in this area so could be more expensive. Plenty of other threads on this just search the forum.Good luck

It only takes a tiny amount of water in the oil to make it go grey.

There is no reason for the gearbox oil to go whire/pale/grey other than water ingress - the water is either getting in from riding in water with poorly sealed gearbox or getting in from the coolant circuit.

If you carry on riding it without sorting out the problem then you need to keep a very close eye on the coolant.

I didn't realise what was happening with mine at first, until one day it got really hot and almost seized, then I realised most of the coolant was in with the oil, and had probably been blown out of the breather.

I took my pump cover off tonight bit of corrosion but not round the seal or o ring edge i took the impeller off and the seal fell out so i think that was the problem seal looks ok so i tapped it back in with a socket and re fitted it all will find some good coolant tomorrow and see how it goes :thumbup: