To All Lucky Owners Of The M4rt

billyt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave

I think you are confused here. The topic is the welded in place restrictors that Honda ships the bike out with that we are discusing, not lights, horns or rear view mirrors :o

Lights and horns are easly removed, it is the welded in restrictors that is the real topic. The removal of the fuel injection system and or header pipes and exausht system to access the restrictors is not a "no big deal" as the fuel injection system is an unknown quantiity to many of an owner at this point in time.

I think that there is a restrictor in the inlet to the cylinder, that would equate in the old carb system to removal of the rubber boot from the carb to the cylinder. What it is in the new system may be removing the injector system out of the way to gain acxess.

The standard 315 Montesa came with restrictors that either the dealer removed (dremel tool) or the owner grinded out and then the owner had to re-jet the bike after these factory obstructions where removed.

Is the engine mapping on the M4RT before or after the installation of the restictors that is in question :wall:

billyT

Edited by BillyT

Well just get the lads who have removed the restrictors to put thier hands up, then see how many have re mapped the bike.

Now I would think the sensor's on the bike will detect a rich or lean condition and alter the injector duration, just like on a car, how else would it be able to self adjust for altitude like stated in the Montesa press release.

Billy, I could be wrong but those with enough know and ability to need re mapping will have the access to the tools and knowlage, those who don't stock will be more than good enough, I don't think i would give up the day job.

The restrictors are not welded in any longer. They are fitted, and can be removed with ease.......Ishy's right.......Don't quit your day job Billy, Honda Engr. has got all of that covered in the bikes electronics.........This is the most technically advanced trails machine to date......MADMAX

• 1 year later...
Now I would think the sensor's on the bike will detect a rich or lean condition and alter the injector duration, just like on a car

Ishy: As far as I know the M4RT doesn't have an oxygen sensor. I think it makes altitude corrections via a map sensor reading. After tonight I will own one. :thumbup: I am getting the reprogrammable ECM with it and plan to start out with the low end setup that Dennis is using. It's all about grip. Jack told me if the M4RT has an electrical fault it throws a code. The reprogrammer also works as a scan tool. I am curious about the code retreival process and the effects of reprogramming and restrictor placement. A whole new world of tuning options. Jay

:wall: I spent the evening riding the crap out of this awesome new/used 2005 M4RT. I am so tickeled with it! It has all restrictors out but the muffler cap, and the "fast" engine program. I found it just great. I guess it will take me awhile to explore the properties of these tuning variations. The software disc shows images of assorted impressive "throttle Maps" which implored me to ask Jack if these were simply pacebo mods, or could you tell any difference really. He assured me that you could tell. I like it so much it's hard to imagine improving it. Then he tells me there are Mark Friexa, Laia Sanz, and other sort of "designer" custom written throttle maps to suit these induviduals riding styles. Jeez, how sci-fi is that? I'm not sure all those choices are going to help or hinder. I suppose one would just get tired of messing around with it and leave it just to be done fussing with it. It's a brave new world.

Hello

I currently have all 5 restrictors out of my 4RT (Mitani front pipe fitted) and have compared it to one supplied from the local dealers (he assured the purchaser the restrictors were removed, personally I think this is a crock as is typical from this dealer, he still does not fit the loom protector plug supplied in the acc. kit. That is of course when he bothers to pass the acc. kit on!) that is now run in and mine has noticeably quicker throttle response (he noticed it too!! so it's not just me), even when blipping at idle (it has a 43 tooth rear sprocket) and is much more willing to rev out making it ride more like a 2-stroke, which works for me as it has made the transition easier. It is noticeably louder though, for spectators not the rider!! I think spectators should be grateful though as they sound stuplendous, even my old wrinkly dad likes the sound! he reckons it sounds like a tiger cub (can't understand this bit though, I mean I have never heard one Purr"" yet, spit maybe and kick a little, but Purr"" ????).

Hope this helps.

Remember, Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

jay.

fault it throws a code. The reprogrammer also works as a scan tool. I am curious about the code retreival process and the effects of reprogramming, A whole new world of tuning options. Jay

It's thrown a CODE!!!! :)

now let me see? 7712............Mmmmmmm........7717 rev limit reached..no...........1712 cold starting recomendation...ahah..no....7777..Mmmmmm..no...7712 that's it GO to chapter six of service manual :) "now were on to it"

[Chapter six service manual],

service recomendation,     stop  ...king with the mapping and ride  the bugger.

:) Ishy you are one funny dude! In have been doing just that! I can't get off the darn thing. In all honesty I don't know why I would want to change owt! I must admit that Mitani exhaust system looks pretty sweet. If I had the money I would buy that just for the cool factor. (then I'd probably smash it falling off a big rock) :)

yeah jayLael

I to love to bash in my new stuff,its not yours till you crash it

My 4rt has all restrictors after the head still in and makes really strong useable power, I cant see why any non championship level rider would need more power