Sherco 290 Ignition

taz_

Hi can anyone help?

I have a 290 sherco 2002 with leonelli ignition, it has always been difficult to start; kicking back sometimes and taking 20 or 30 kicks to start when hot, but when it was running it was ok.

Aproximately one month ago it wouldn't start at all. The stator was condemned as one of the coils didn't give the correct value when tested. We sent the stator to be rewound. It was refitted and made no differance. The company who rewound the stator told us that it had been test run after being rewound, and it was fine so the cdi/coil unit must be faulty. We bought a new cdi/coil unit at a cost of

Silly question but did the new coil/cdi unit come with a new plug cap, I had my bike die a couple of months ago which turned out to be a hairline crack in the insulator.

Had sent a old stator off to be rewound before I discovered this, least I have a spare in with my riding gear now

Hi, it was Bradford ignitions/uk motoplat, and its been back there for him to test a second time. He couldn' find a fault with it :

Mmmm, well Bradfords seem to have a good reputation, and if he has double ck'ed it, makes me wonder. You can call Steve there and ask, yet I have never heard on one loosing its magnatism. However I suppose it is possible the magnet could be damaged? Seems they do odd things with the magnets and their polarities, and if one is damaged could do odd things. I am not quite sure if Steve at Bradfords can test this, so I would call.

Apparently, he has further insight into just how these things really work, that we here have not figured out! It is something of a dark science.

Then getting off into another realm, what fuel are you using? I would suppose you have done other basics like plugs and such, what are you running and at what gap.

:biggrinsanta:

If you're really worried about it being the magnetism best bet is to find someone who will let you swap flywheels, if that is the problem then post a ad looking for one as I'm sure a few people(me included :biggrinsanta: ) will have a spare kicking around that they'll gladly part with

Easiest way to trace any electrical problem is substitution with known good parts off a mates bike, swap parts onto each others bike one part at a time & sooner or later the running bike won't but the dead one should which tells you which part to replace

Thanks for the replies.

First thing we tried was plug cap and plug, we have tried everything we can think of and then some. We are looking for something obscure now. I have placed an advert in parts wanted for a flywheel and or stator from a bike that is known to be good, so we can try substituting parts. We think the flywheel has lost it's magnetism. If anyone can help by loaning / hiring (or purchase for sensible price) a flywheel and or stator for fault finding we would very much appreciate help.

Gday, its possible but unlikely that the flywheel has lost magnetism. A quick easy check is to see how much it "hangs" on to a screwdriver when run across the magnets. Checking against a known good one can help get a feel for this. Magnets will lose their "grunt" through vibration and excessive heat or through long term incorrect storage. This is why it is unlikely that your 02 bike has issues in this area unless the flywheel has been seriously abused previously.

I have to ask, you have confirmed there is no spark at all? Some spark is still spark and it is often difficult to gauge if its "enough". The best way to check this is to use a tester with an adjustable gap, like this - http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Automoti...rs/LIS50850.htm any bike should be able to spark across a 6mm gap in air no probs. Never check CDI's by using the old "hold the plug near the head" trick, this can cause more damage than it solves by breaking down coil internal insulation or killing the CDI unit.

If there is no spark you can check stator output on the bike using a volt meter set to AC, you should see around 70+ volts kicking over, and the trigger output should be around 1 volt at kickover. This of course will tell if the flywheel is OK as a matter of course.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Stork

Hi, there is no spark, not even a small one to prove this i even held the ht lead while we spun the engine nothing.

I followed the advice on the motoplat uk web site and the first time i tested it one of the coils on the stator was open .So it was sent to repaired/rewound this made no differance.

I live near sandhurst berks if there is anyone who will lend me a flywheel/stator to try to fault find.

Thanks for the help .