Pinhard Trophy

pro

After reading the latest ACU magazine i was surprised to see who has won it this year. I have nothing against women riders but i don't think the pinhard cup has gone to the right person this year. Sorry but what has Donna Fox actually achieved this year? She was beat in the British Championship, came nowhere in the European and World Championships, never attempted the SSDT or Scott yet she won it ahead of the like of Alexz Wigg and James Dabill who have achieved so much this year. No youth has won the Europeans before yet he just gets dismissed in the back ground.

What does everyone else think?

Edited by pro

I think Katy sunter should have won it for finishing the SSDT and the Scott, she also rode all year with a knee injury that needs a operation. Anyone who saw her pain at the end of the Scott will know that she's got more ball's than most of the male riders around today. Becky Cook came from Know were to win the British championship at her first attempt, but Know one seem's to care because she dont come from up north.Nothing against Donna, but i dont see why, maybe the ACU should let it's members have a say in who wins. Alex will have his day when he win's the world championship in 2009. :wall:

I don't think it's anything to do with the ACU, although I could be wrong.

In fact a web search shows it to be hosted by the Sunbeam club.

Winners are nominated (by anybody), so maybe Alexz just didn't get nominated?

I do think that there are some old folk trying to catch up with the sexual equality thing that for most people started decades ago, and this sometimes turns to positive discrimination, (although I've no idea if this was the case).

This doesn't always do the girls any good, and I would think sometimes they'd rather it were "fairer" themselves.

The discussions over the difference between "sex equality" and "gender fairness" could cause a right row :wall:

To be honest, we should be happy that a trials rider has had it for the last two years, above the other sports that probably also have deserving nominations.

I say well done to Donna for even being in the running for it, and congratulations for winning it.

Quote:

Now in its 52nd year the prestigious Pinhard Trophy which has been won by more Champion motorcyclists in their teenage years than any other trophy is up for grabs yet again.

The huge Pinhard Cup [2.8 gallons!] is awarded annually by the Sunbeam Motorcycling Club Ltd to the most meritorious performance in all Motorcycling Sport in England and Wales by a competitor under 21 years of age on October 31st 2002.

With the boom in motorcycling and massive growth in all branches of the sport, the winner could come from any one of at least twenty activity disciplines.

1] Road Racing 2] Super Moto 3] Trials 4] Grass Track 5] Speedway 6] Scrambling 7] Moto Cross 8] Rally

Sorry don't agree with you ASIOW! If any girl surly Maria Conway achieved a lot more than any girl in this country, she won the SSDT and was well up there in the Europeans until she was badly injured and I have heard that Maria is also suppose to have a knee op and has been riding without an ACL for 2 years now!

Alex will have his day but in my mind his day should have been this year, you have to been seen to be bringing on the 'talent' of this country. Even James Dabill he had some excellent rides in the World Youth and done excellent in the Scott.

Definetly agree with the "PRO" on this one, if you are going to give the award to a girl then Maria is the only choice, i went and watched the european round at Hawkstone park and was really impressed with Maria she looked onit (and got 3rd overall i think)! to be honest from what i saw (and no disrespect to the other girls riding) but they looked like they had been thrown in at the deepend!!

I Think Mr Dabil should have got the award, but going on the previous years results i think the award has gone down hill, you use to get quality riders winning it (Lampkin, Saga etc) but now i think you could put your house on Mr Joe Bloggs winning it for 2005.

What achievement has Donna Fox ever achieved this year? beats me she certianly didnt achieve anything in trials. must just have alot of reletives up there out of envelopes!!

I think Katy sunter should have won it for finishing the SSDT and the Scott, she also rode all year with a knee injury that needs a operation.

ha Katy Sunter, all i can say on that Quote in the voice of David Brent is "Thats Mental". just goes to show why the "real talent" doesnt get the publicity it deserves if that is what people think!!

ok here is my sortlist for what it is worth...

1) Mr James Dabill

2) Alex Wigg (toss up between him and james for #1)

3) Vesty (if he is under 21!!)

4) Maria Conway

119)Donna Fox

anyone agree?

Edited by thebesttrialsrider

Again another one to take to your club meetings and ask them

to go to centres, those who are saying so & so should have got it,

DID YOU VOICE YOUR OPINION EARLIER?

The ACU has the say, YOU are the ACU.

I am not expressing any opinion about the winner or nominees here.

We all know that Wiggy should have got this award, all i was saying saw that if it had to go to a woman it should have been Katy for her (effort) in the Scott. We all know that Maria is the best female rider in the country but she did'nt complete the season, and she dont ride in the British championship. I think the award is for outstanding performance, not how good a rider you are. Anyway Wiggy is just 15 and has aready beaten Dabill at least once, Antoni Bou is younger than Dabill and is one of the top ten riders in the world. Who cares i think that anyone who spends as much time and effort to get to the level of these people should all get an award, im shore James would rather have his two year contract with T.T.T. than another bit of meaningless silver. Let's get real, that A.C.U. don't care about trials anyway, it's all road race and MX. If you go to the European, or world trials, Spain & Italy give mass support to there riders compaired to the UK. Look at the latest A.C.U. Biketalk mag, cover picture,road race. Why are there only four youth trials riders in the ACU academy and eight girls? :wall:

Sam is a better rider than Alex is some way's, but Alex is younger. The next two years will see if thay are world class, Dougie was'nt that good as a youth rider, but then look what happened. The danger with Alex is that he is to good to young and may burn out, but the wright people are behind him to stop this happening. Both Sam & Alex can be world class, it's just down to then,if thay want it badly enough :o thay can get there, it's up to them. :wall: