Beta Techno (1998) Newbie Advice

nevilletanner

hello all.

A couple of years ago i moved from Harlow in essex and now live in sunny wales (still waiting to see the sun but thats another story),

anyway after moving down here i decided that after 20 years of being on 4 wheels and as i have a few hills around me that it would be good to get back on a bike.

so i managed to get hold of a KMX125 with a shagged out engine which i replaced with a unrestricted one, well due to this my 2 sons now have bikes and also my brother in law who visits one a month

has a bike aswell.

all good fun but every time we go out we end up on river beds or in the forest as we all prefure the challange, a few months ago while out we came across a few other bikers, mostly 4-stroke motocross bikes except 2 of them who were on GG`s

this fascinated me the way they just stroled along making it all look so easy, there and then made me want a trial bike.

well now to the reason of posting on here. yesterday after 2 weeks of searching i come across a BETA TECHNO (98) in A1 condition at the right price, i will be collecting it on friday :rolleyes:

I have a few questions that i would appreciate answered if possible.

1.. the premix on this bike, i have been told that it will run fine on 70:1 (synth) or 32:1 (mineral) is this correct as all the other bikes here run on 25:1

2.. i have read about the gearbox would be better with ATF instead of gearbox oil again is this correct.

3.. does the TECHNO have the Mg engine case or is it good old Aluminium. also best coolant to use to prevent problems.

4.. any trial clubs near to Neath in Wales ?

5.. best way to learn how to ride this bike ( i have plenty of free time and im guessing the first thing to master is balance while not moving then onto learning to bounce the bike about) , i really havent a clue but i am determine to ride this properly.

any other advice is more than welcome, many thanks in advance.

The Techno should be fun. 70 to 1 synth oil is the stuff you want to use. I have used ATF in the tranny with no problems. Different types will give a different clutch engagment feel. Some more grabby than others. I'm pretty sure the techno has MG engine cases. So electrolisis will be a concern. I have been told that any good automotive antifreeze coolent will do fine mixed with distilled water or the premixed type. Remember to change it often. Cant say about the trials clubs in UK. I'm sure the local bike shop knows where to find one.

Hi there and welcome to TC.

The Beta boys will be along to answer your technical questions soon I expect.

In the meantime Have A Look Here. Some clubs to consider.

My advice would be to join a club you like the look of and go to a few trials to get a feel for what's going on. Ask lots of questions - most people will be glad to help you.

As for riding, don't get hung up on bouncing. I would say it's an advanced technique that would be way down the list of things you need to learn if you're just starting out. There are quite a lot of topics in the Trials Training & Tecniques forum that should give you some ideas.

Gday, as mentioned above, 70:1 synthetic is good, I think the techno's were aluminium, at least my old one was, however coolant changes are needed regularly on anything, once a year is fine. Use a good quality coolant, any known brand. Change brake fluid at the same time, but dont let it run out at your peril...Run Dexron 3 in the transmission, it works well and is cheap. As far as learning to ride, tight turns are the starting point, and then basic obstacles. Balancing and hopping are advanced and Im jealous of those who can do it...

Cheers,

Stork.

You do not need to use distilled water in Wales, we got the pure stuff, we send the chlorine chemical filled stuff over the border :o

Neath does have a club I believe and you will find info on welsh trials. I believe also Merthyr has one which meets at the imperial hotel 2nd tuesday of the month, not to far from neath.

Dextron ATF is good, I use it in mine rather than the light gear oil, gives a responsive feel and grabs quickly but clutch makes a bit more noise.

Have fun!!

" You do not need to use distilled water in Wales, we got the pure stuff, we send the chlorine chemical filled stuff over the border "

lol yes i had noticed - no more furred up kettles and washing machines - hense more money for motorbikes (just dont tell the wife) !!

right i have the premix and its a good thing to use ATF in the tranny, i have also looked at the various groups around me (cimla is very close as i live in Resolven) so thats pretty much sorted out.

i have also looked at the training section and there seems to be a few different idears on where to start, i guess its down to personal taste.

i cant collect the bike till saturday (also found out its actually a 97 model) now and it means a 500 mile drive to london and back , guess its worth it though, just wish it was today !

this is a bit of a long shot - does anyone recall riding up on the mountains near the electric generator windmills between Afon Gorrwg and Glyncorrwg last summer if so then you must be very local to me

drop a line on here as i would love to tag along some time.

can anyone confirm about the Mg or Al engine case ?

thanks again for the input