Montesa 349

andrewb

Hi,

I'm probably leaving myself wide open for abuse but I bought a Cota 349 just before Christmas. Sandifords tell me it's a 1979/80 model. I've started to have a general look around it before I start taking things apart to get a rough idea of the job in hand and found a couple of obvious things.

The shock absorbers are not standard (they're not even a matching pair). After investigation I note that the standard shocks were Telesco Hydrobag. Never heard of them but cannot for the life of me find any info on'tinterweb regarding a possible supply. The '81 model (white wonder?) is fitted with Betors. Were the Telesco jobbies no good? Can anyone help with info on which are better or a supply for the Telesco if this is the way to go?

At this stage I think I'm going to be posting a few wanted ads in the classified section.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I owned an early 349 from new with Telesco Hydrobag rear units, the seals blew on one unit and they were replaced with Girling Gas shocks. These were popular at the time.

Today I have a 1982 MH349, the original 340 mm long Betor units have been replaced with modern Betors at 360 mm long with 50lb springs. Some of the extra length helps quicken the steering and there seems to be more sag with modern units compared to the more stiffly sprung originals so the rear of the bike is not much higher once on the move.

If you are going to ride the bike regularly, modern easily obtainable units would be my own choice. There are several makes to choose from and everyone will have their own favourites.

Hope this helps.