Ty250 T/s Forks

beamish owners club

I have a pair of tired TY250 T/S forks that could really use new springs, any idea where these can be bought? Also there has been talk on here and on the net of damper rod modifications - does anyone know what mods are done and maybe who does them? I know it would be better to chuck the forks in favour of a pair of Parzocchis or Paolis but I want to keep them looking original, even if they are on my TY175! Any help would be most welcome.

Is this the mount for Robregordo then Jim

250 springs are no longer available from Yamaha, or at least that's what my local dealer was told when he tried to order some for me last year. You could try JK Hirst, see what they have. No-one in the UK does replacement springs as far as I know but B&J Racing in the US does uprated replacements.

For damper rod mods speak to Craig Mawlam at Yamaha-Majesty.com as he got the info from Shirty when he bought the Majesty stuff as to what they did to works bikes forks. I'm sure he'd do the mod to yours if you needed it. He'll be at Wrighty's show so you could ask him there.

Thanks all, that should get me sorted. Not sure of the Robregordo mount yet Woody, I have a Bultaco Special that is doing the Exmoor with an expert riding it at Easter - that would go down well in Spain but I had hoped to take my Cub and do the Pre72, I have to rebuild the engine first just to stop it leaking gallons of oil everywhere! If all else fails I will take the TY175 again of course, it gave a good account of itself last year and was the only one there I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the Wirth Spring kit to my TY250E. The Wirth springs are a heavier gauge wire and about 50mm shorter than the standard Yam springs, Wirth supplier a longer spacer to suit the new springs. I have also soldered up one of the 2mm damper tube holes on each leg to slow down the rebound damping. I'm using 10w-40 engine oil in the forks filled to 130 mm from the top of the legs (springs removed and fully compressed).

All this results in a less mushy feel to the forks and damping is much improved. Unladen sag has been reduced by about 8 mm.