Beta 290 Evo, Two Position Ignition.

liviob

I am curious to know what those of you who have a 09-10 290 evo think of the two position ignition. I have used both setttings while riding and while i have been told that position 1 is the soft setting and position 2 is more powerful. The 1 position feels as though it has more just above idle torque than the 2 posiition. And the 2 position has more midrange top end torque than the 1 position. Is this how you experiance the throttle responce of your 290?

I dont know what it should be like? I am relativly new to trials and still in a steep learning curve. I am hoping that someone with more skill and experiance can validate my thoughts about the two ignition maps and possibly explain how each one should be used. To me it seems strange that the more powerful 2 position would have a softer bottom pull than the 1 position. I feel that the 1 position should be softer everywhere more like a 250. Maybe it is and i dont know because i have not ridden a Beta 250.

My guess is that the reasoning may make more sense from an advanced riders perspective, i.e. one who is using the clutch and higher revs for aggresive moves. If it was a simple ignition advance curve, #2 would have less idle but more top end hit. Maybe too aggresive for wet conditions?

I know on the GG, the "rain" setting doesnt do much until the upper rev range. I agree with you, it would be nice for the club rider to dial up a softer everywhere curve - maybe when we have direct injection bikes, we'll be able to screw up, I mean, customize the perfect characteristics for our styles.

I thought the same that an advanced rider may have a better understanding of the two ignition maps. It just seems odd to me that 1 is more torquey at the start. Maybe the map is designed that way so that the rider can allow the motor to pull down low in the RPM's and avoid a stall while not breaking tracktion. I think that in slippery conditions that the number 2 position might be prefered because of its softer torque just above idle.