2004 Rev-3

remeben

Hello there

Already introduced myself on the introduction thread but quickly, I'm ben 21 years old from coventry but currently serving in tidworth!!

Having just bought a Beta Rev-3 '04 250cc, its in quite good nick to be honest, im pretty new to trials!! Anyway was after any hints/tips/mods that could or should be done as the bike is pretty standard!!

Thanks in advance

Ben

Edited by remeben

The best advice is ... if it's not broke then don't fix it.

Beta spent time getting the bike right....any subsequent mods are unlikely to have a significant effect.

Fine tuning is OK for the top 10%, but has buggar all affect for the vast majority of us.

Main thing is to just get out there and practice.

I've got a 2004 Beta....the main thing to check is that the cases around the water-pump are not corroded.

- take the pump outer cover off and check for corrosion

- keep an eye on your oil...and panic if it goes cloudy cos you've got a problem

- and make sure you're using coolant that is OK for magnesium cases.

Apart from the corrsion on the cases, it's a brilliant bike.

Enjoy.

Beta spent time getting the bike right....any subsequent mods are unlikely to have a significant effect.

hmmm have to disagree with that, tell that to all the stator buyers and leaking carbs riders, the boyesens make a huge difference to the rev3 along with the jetting and carb mod no matter what level of rider you are. Swapping the carb boot over makes the carb go in alot easier and removing the reed block spacer gives a little better low end power but its main plus is the carb goes in easily and the Float bowl extension helps fuel starvation when doing climbs. Fitting Boyesens are really worth doing, amazes me Beta don't stick them in as stock itmes, Dellorto carb on the rev is just pure **** material :rolleyes: agree with the mag cover though, another fine example of Beta spending alot of time getting the bike right :thumbup:

Edited by The Addict

I agree with Addict all good mods. - also cut off the middle mudguard mounting tab as it stops air flowing freely to the airbox.

Agree with the water pump corrosion advise - replace with quality premixed coolant.

My advise is to get the suspension set back to standard. Replace the fork oil. Have the shock serviced if the rebound adjuster makes no difference to the speed of the shock (call lampkin's for a rebuilt shock) as it makes a huge difference to the traction and feel of the bike. Set the forks and shock to 1/3 sag front and rear when you stand on the bike (have a friend help). Then set the rebound (front and back) damping so that it just starts to slow the fast spring action down a little.

Take the shock off and grease the swing arm bearings. Then do the headset bearings. These are good things to check and do and won't take a long time to do.

Ralph

Just remembered? I used to put a cut out 'V' in the 2 overflow pipes from the carb !!

This stopped the carb syphoning the fuel out of the float bowl, when the fuel reached the hole it seemed to stop?

I would pass the message on to my lad, but he is still in bed and we are setting off to his first trial in 45 minutes, think he is papping it :rolleyes: