11/38 Gearing No Grip Txt Pro 250

steve1979

Hi guys,

i was out today with a few pals and although it was wet and slushy my mate's 250 beta evo seems to go anywhere and also my other friend who was running a 280 gas gas pro seemed to be finding more grip than me, we were going up some steep hills and i ended having to push my bike all the time. I was trying various gears and different stances on the bike "really leaning back to try and find grip" and nothing, my gas gas just seems to spin up real easy, i'm running a 11 38 . Not sure about front sprockets but the beta was 42 and the 280 was a 43, the beta seems to go anywhere, my pal on the beta is the better rider than me so i leant him a go to see if it were me or the bike and he couldn't make nothing of it either

Is it me or the gearing, tyre pressure's are fine too as are the tyre's themselves

Cheers Woody

Hi guys,

i was out today with a few pals and although it was wet and slushy my mate's 250 beta evo seems to go anywhere and also my other friend who was running a 280 gas gas pro seemed to be finding more grip than me, we were going up some steep hills and i ended having to push my bike all the time. I was trying various gears and different stances on the bike "really leaning back to try and find grip" and nothing, my gas gas just seems to spin up real easy, i'm running a 11 38 . Not sure about front sprockets but the beta was 42 and the 280 was a 43, the beta seems to go anywhere, my pal on the beta is the better rider than me so i leant him a go to see if it were me or the bike and he couldn't make nothing of it either

Is it me or the gearing, tyre pressure's are fine too as are the tyre's themselves

Cheers Woody

11/38 is WAY too tall!!!!

People may run this at the scottish 6 day because of al the fast road and moore work!!!

Standard gearing is 11/41 or 42.

Novice riders use 10/42 o slow the speed of the bike down in a section,but my arguement is,with 10/42 it will accelerate and spin faster!!

I started a POLE on this not long ago,find it and take a look,some good replies!!!

Benz

Hi guys,

Cheers Woody

Depending on the year, the stock gearing on the 280/300 Pros was 11/41 or 11/42 and I'm sure the 250 was not that much different. You'd be a lot happier with a 42 on the back and you could then try a 10T front to see if you like even lower gearing, which a lot of us go to (I run 11/44). You probably have the white tube (fast) Domino throttle tube and might want to consider the black tube ("slow") throttle, which would make finding grip a little easier.

Jon

Hi guy's, thanks for your replies, i have the slow tube on her anyway as she always seemed to be a hand full with the fast throttle tube, but if the gearing is a way out that may explain my lack of grip, the sprockets are becoming worn anyway so i think i'll change to a 42 and see how that goes, quite frustrating when your stuck halfway up a hill with the rear spinning while your mate's fly past you. when i bought the bike she was road registered so i wonder if she's had the tall gearing for that :rolleyes:

11/38 is WAY too tall!!!!

People may run this at the scottish 6 day because of al the fast road and moore work!!!

Standard gearing is 11/41 or 42.

Novice riders use 10/42 o slow the speed of the bike down in a section,but my arguement is,with 10/42 it will accelerate and spin faster!!

I started a POLE on this not long ago,find it and take a look,some good replies!!!

Benz

Hi i had a look at your post and there is some very interesting replies, i like funtrials explanation, makes it easy to understand

You do talk B*****ks, why because you don't ride 10 - 42 do you think it's a novice gearing?

Good constructive critersism there!!!!!!!

This is a GASGAS quote actually!!

Talk to any top gasgas rider,Ross danby,Dan thorpe ect ect and they will advise that they all run standard gearing,creates a faster spinning back wheel to burn thru mud,and as expert riders do most things off the clutch they are not concerned with the speed of the bike,or it "getting away with them " in a section as they know how to ride!!

I actually quite like 10/42 for local club trials where the sections are more NOVICE like,but go do a national Novagar round and you dont want 10/42!

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Edited by benz19

Good constructive critersism there!!!!!!!

This is a GASGAS quote actually!!

Talk to any top gasgas rider,Ross danby,Dan thorpe ect ect and they will advise that they all run standard gearing,creates a faster spinning back wheel to burn thru mud,and as expert riders do most things off the clutch they are not concerned with the speed of the bike,or it "getting away with them " in a section as they know how to ride!!

I actually quite like 10/42 for local club trials where the sections are more NOVICE like,but go do a national Novagar round and you dont want 10/42!

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

but you wouldn't be good enough to ride as a novice up north so why do you need to ride with so called expert gearing?

Hi guy's, thanks for your replies, i have the slow tube on her anyway as she always seemed to be a hand full with the fast throttle tube, but if the gearing is a way out that may explain my lack of grip, the sprockets are becoming worn anyway so i think i'll change to a 42 and see how that goes, quite frustrating when your stuck halfway up a hill with the rear spinning while your mate's fly past you. when i bought the bike she was road registered so i wonder if she's had the tall gearing for that :rolleyes:

Fellow you bought it froms name was V. Rossi ! right ?

but you wouldn't be good enough to ride as a novice up north so why do you need to ride with so called expert gearing?

your probably right,i never said i was an expert rider,but i understand the principles of the matter.

At the end of the day its what ever suits,half the fun of trials is experimenting as its cheap and the bikes are easy to work on.

I may take you up on the Northern novice thing tho,you may just be surprised :rolleyes:

You've also got to remember that in all sports the 'class' factor. Trials isn't a race, it's about composure & hitting everything as near to spot on as you can, the more 'class' you have, the more time you have to do this. So you've got to make the best of what you've got & do it your own way, this ends up most of the time not the way of the experts. Go watch a decent Trial, not a bit of flag dancing, watch how most riders get into trouble because the bike gets there before them, an awful lot of lads spend their day chasing a bike round that for one reason or another is too hot for them.

You've also got to remember that in all sports the 'class' factor. Trials isn't a race, it's about composure & hitting everything as near to spot on as you can, the more 'class' you have, the more time you have to do this. So you've got to make the best of what you've got & do it your own way, this ends up most of the time not the way of the experts. Go watch a decent Trial, not a bit of flag dancing, watch how most riders get into trouble because the bike gets there before them, an awful lot of lads spend their day chasing a bike round that for one reason or another is too hot for them.

I agree 100%!!

Going back to point of this topic,to help the guy who has asked the question,his gearing at the moment is 11/38,i have suggested 11/42 for him to try as i feel that if he went straight to 10/42 that would be the equivalent of going up 8 teeth on the back sprocket and this may be too big a jump if he has been riding 11/38 for some while?

I agree 100%!!

Going back to point of this topic,to help the guy who has asked the question,his gearing at the moment is 11/38,i have suggested 11/42 for him to try as i feel that if he went straight to 10/42 that would be the equivalent of going up 8 teeth on the back sprocket and this may be too big a jump if he has been riding 11/38 for some while?

Hi benz19,

thankyou for your suggestion, i agree 11/42 is the combination i am going to try next, i'm looking forward to it, interesting to see how it affects the nature of the bike.

Thanks

Steve