Video Of Bmw 4t Valves Working At 13000rpm

nzralphy

If you think that is impressive, just think how fast the piston is going. Remember the cam shaft is rotating at half the speed of the crankshaft !

The average car idles at about 800RPM but to make things simple reduce that to 600RPM.

Thats 600 rotations of the crankshaft per min.

That means that every SECOND the crankshaft rotates 10 times !

And thats at idle !! :rolleyes:

being old fashioned I just can't imagine measuring acceleration & deceleration within each revolution of a shaft like this as Dan (Williams) was thinking of doing in order to try to smooth out power delivery of a crankshaft.. I meam measuring it may be hard enough but then using that information to modify something else ( eg ignition timing) in real time it's well beyond me how fast your computer would need to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Bugger..I'm always late to the party..It says the video has been removed by the user :)

Woops i accidentally posted the video in anything goes and i dont know how to move it. Not only was i late to the party i missed the complete address... hahhahahahaah story of my life. Anybody know how to move a post?

--Biff

• 2 weeks later...

• 10 months later...

Good video..In the late `90`s I worked in Development at Rover, we used to run k-series engines at 7250rpm to destruction, and they would happily run for 2-3 weeks! Thats 4-500 hrs, flat out. Think about that the next time you redline your motor for 10 secs and think you`re wrecking it. The exhaust systems would be cherry red for the first 4-5ft( even with cooling fans on them), and the manifolds got that hot that you could see through the walls and see the gases flying past.

Good video..In the late `90`s I worked in Development at Rover, we used to run k-series engines at 7250rpm to destruction, and they would happily run for 2-3 weeks! Thats 4-500 hrs, flat out. Think about that the next time you redline your motor for 10 secs and think you`re wrecking it. The exhaust systems would be cherry red for the first 4-5ft( even with cooling fans on them), and the manifolds got that hot that you could see through the walls and see the gases flying past.

Ahhh the Rover 1.4 K series.

I had one,my brother had one,my mate had one,his neighbour had one and they all had the same problem....Did you ever find a cure for the K series achilles heel; cylinder head gasket failure?

...Great motor otherwise :huh:

When you watch it you can see the springs rotating.... and i'm thinking that that would wear away the spring seat. Slowly.

And then BING!! idea. That is where all that glittery aluminum flakes in the oil comes from with a four stroke.

I wonder if they could stop them spinning at such high revs, or when do we get air springs on our bikes?

When you watch it you can see the springs rotating.... and i'm thinking that that would wear away the spring seat. Slowly.

And then BING!! idea. That is where all that glittery aluminum flakes in the oil comes from with a four stroke.

I wonder if they could stop them spinning at such high revs, or when do we get air springs on our bikes?

OR?