Flywheel Removal

dougalthedog

I'm trying to remove a very stubborn flywheel from a TY mono .

A previous owner appears to have destroyed the threads on the flywheel so the puller is useless.

I've gently beaten it with a rubber mallet, had the heat gun on it, applied copious amount of WD40 but still no joy.

Any magic tricks I'm not aware of.

My only current solution is to weld the puller to the flywheel but obviously this will wreck the puller - the flywheel is already

destined for the bin due to the lack of threads.

The bottom end of the motor is scrap and the cases are not too good so big hammer tactics are quite acceptable - I only want to

rescue the ignition system from this side of the lump.

You could quite easily make yourself a slide hammer. I would weld M10 nut to a repair washer thats slghtly larger than the hole in the flywheel. Now weld the washer across the hole. Using a length of threaded 10M rod (approx. 400mm in length) screw it into the new nut. Find a suitable piece of metal with a 10mm hole through the centre (heavier the better) and slide it onto your threaded rod. Screw a nut over the end of the threaded rod and hey presto you've created a slide hammer.

Thoroughly heat the area with your hot air gun before using your new slide hammer

Hope this is useful

Kind regards

John

PS

Same process can be used for removing bearings from blind holes in casings. Obviously you then need to replace the bearing with new

I have pulled several with a standard 3 leg gear puller. If you are careful you can fit the legs around the outside edge of the wheel. You have to put the legs in at the larger openings and then slide them around to be equadistant (sp). Heat on the center of the flywheel hub at the same time helps. With a propane torch you can direct the heat to a specific point.

Last one I pulled had a bunch of pressure on and when it finally let go it sounded like someone fired a gun in my shop. Don't be in front of it when it lets go as they sometimes come off with quite a bit of force.

Good luck.

Alan