What To Adjust

lightfeet

Just gone from an 09 Gas Gas 250 to an 07 4RT, had a quick play on it today for the first time before I go to cowm on Sunday, just wanted to check there was nothing wrong. It felt a little heavy on my right wrist and right shoulder. Im no expert on working out what needs to be adjusted so thought i'd ask. The guy I got the bike off was not as tall as me he was maybe 5'9"-5'10" at a rough guess? certainly no bigger than that anyway. He's had the bike since new and has fitted a hope top yoke and Renthal Fat Bars. I believe the Fat bars come in different heights? Anyway Im between 6'2" and 6'3" and felt that I maybe needed the bars either further forward? away from me or possibly even higher up with risers maybe? Im not sure how it works exactly as the other guy was shorter than me so I thought they wont need rising but if my arms are longer and so are my legs then im further away right?

Also its my 1st 4-stroke Trials bike having never ridden anything except 2 strokes! (Had plenty of 4 strokes but not trials) Is it just something they feel like? Any pointers would be helpful

Cheers

It felt a little heavy on my right wrist and right shoulder

The Mont weighs about 92 kgs more than the Gasser, its gonna feel heavy for a while, as B40RT says, ride it for a while and see how it feels then, you'll get a six pack and popeye foremans with 3 months

Actually i think you've misunderstood what I mean, or more likely I've not explained it well enough. I don't mean it felt physically heavy in fact it felt no different at all to my gasser apart from when engine is off then I can feel it's a bit heavier when lifting it onto stand etc... Once running it feels the same in fact it feels better just right sort of, the weight I'm talking about is on my wrists like I'm too far away or I'm too close to bars not sure which. Apart from this little niggle after a quick 2 hours on it it feels miles ahead of the gasser in grip,power and most noticable of all the suspension and gearbox feel smooth and work like they should. Overall I was pleasently suprised having read a lot of woeful 2 to 4 stroke convert threads.

Thanks for replys

Edited by Lightfeet

Are you sure you'r ok man?

if you just got off a '09 250 Gasser, by the time you are back from the weekend, those bars will be the las thing bothering you! I hope you don't flick about much~! :crying:

Would love to say I do all that flicking about stuff but im not actually capable mate. It seems there are a lot of Monty haters out there to me, I must admit I was scepticle at first and I have only had a couple of hours on it, but I did enjoy it for everything I felt at first was bad there was another thing which was better. I liked my gasser dont get me wrong but there were certain things that annoyed me, for example no matter what I changed on the suspension and I tried a few settings it felt exactly the same. Bone jarring when landing a big drop or a wheelie or something, then there's working on it to change the front pipe I had to take off the whole exhaust in order to line the two pipes up as they are such an interference fit! In order to take off the rear tail section I had to remove the rear suspension top mounting and the rear master cyclinder. maybe this was only because the exhaust had bent in and started to rub on the rear tyre, but then maybe that only happened as the brackets on the frame that hold the exhaust had all split half way along the seams of the welds on this 6 month old bike! No matter what I did to my rear brake I could not get it to work consistently well either, also the gearbox was a nightmare you had to go to first gear before you could go to second gear. I know this is an adjustable cam that you can change behind the clutch but should it really need it on such a new bike. It did run well however and had a nice light feel about it but I was for ever having to tighten things that had worked loose last time out or even replace bolts that just went missing.

These are some of the reasons I bought this honda, I did look at beta's and sherco's too but thought i'll try the honda and if I dont like it they seem to sell quite well and I think I got it at a good price.

I've had my 4rt for two and a half years now and still love it, never kept a bike for so long, usually the 2 strokes are tired after 12 months & could do with some money spent or swapping. I think you have experienced what I did after my first go on one, bike is stable, goes where you want it to and the suspension is way beyond anything else. I struggled with grip for a fair while in the mud but have stuck with it and ride better in the mud than any 2 stroke Ive ever had.

Edited by The Addict

I've had my 4rt for two and a half years now and still love it, never kept a bike for so long, usually the 2 strokes are tired after 12 months & could do with some money spent or swapping. I think you have experienced what I did after my first go on one, bike is stable, goes where you want it to and the suspension is way beyond anything else. I struggled with grip for a fair while in the mud but have stuck with it and ride better in the mud than any 2 stroke Ive ever had.

Actually I found a lot more grip to be honest but I think a large percentage of this could well be down to the irc rear tyre as the gasser had a Michelin on. That and the suspension feels like it actually works as it should. Also it's got the hrc programmable throttle body on and position 1 on the switch is the absolute softest there is which is where I left it the whole time.

Actually I found a lot more grip to be honest but I think a large percentage of this could well be down to the irc rear tyre as the gasser had a Michelin on. That and the suspension feels like it actually works as it should. Also it's got the hrc programmable throttle body on and position 1 on the switch is the absolute softest there is which is where I left it the whole time.

Yes the IRC is the dogs danglies in the mud and makes a huge difference to the mont, i have a very soft programme on Gerty which helps grip but doesnt seem to effect power when you need it. I have noticed more aggressive power programmes = less grip on the 4rt, good luck fella, the Mont brings a smile to your face everytime

Well, you pretty much covered the Gassers!

As a closet 4T fan, I like the Mont in many ways, yet they are a bit on the fat side. Never an issue tires on the earth! Front suspension great, yet mastering the clutch and power application is key.

Have fun! :crying:

Yeah risers will do the same thing at less cost. Try 20-25mm extra would be my advise. I have 20mm higher bars on the beta and it is great...... I'm the same height as you. Ralphy

Thanks will give that a go, im out at cowm today and have just done some small adjustments to bars and contols see if it feels any better but I think im gonna have to lift em. When you say you have 20mm higher bars do you mean via a riser kit or that your actual bars are 20mm higher?

Well, you pretty much covered the Gassers!

As a closet 4T fan, I like the Mont in many ways, yet they are a bit on the fat side. Never an issue tires on the earth! Front suspension great, yet mastering the clutch and power application is key.

Have fun! :crying:

Yeah I have read a lot about clutches feeling a bit grabby etc and wanting to plough in tight corners. Thing is im probably not going to get the full benefit of the gear on this bike as I havent rode the standard one. This has a Mitani clutch fitted by last owner and the larger clutch master cylinder and just feels like any other clutch to me.

Edited by Lightfeet