4rt Gearing

lightfeet

Just wanted to know what the majority of people on here are running, I just got my bike and its on 9/43. While im sure this would be good for trials at the moment I am just having a bit of fun at the quarry/woods etc.... Anyway it feels as if 4th is too low for some big climbs although still usaboe, and 5th is to long and runs out of puff. I bought a 10 tooth front but my chains to small for that so Ive got to put a link in or also drop a tooth on the rear do you think this would be a bit much 1 on the front and 1 down on the rear?

I run 10 / 41 but that is higher than most - but I like a tall first gear.

Have ridden ones with 9 front and they seems to make the bike way to slow and forces you to use 2nd rather than 1st.

10 43 is probably a good compromise as it slows 1st down enough not to to worry about using the clutch all the time on the naggery bits

where there any hills in the colmore ? :rotfl:

lol, yer plenty as you know, do that gearing on a 2 stroke and youd be pulling 5th everywhere, the 4rt has very long gears and can easy cope with down gearing like this but you have to use the revs more. 3rd gear on the mont is massive and plenty even with 9/43

lol, yer plenty as you know, do that gearing on a 2 stroke and youd be pulling 5th everywhere, the 4rt has very long gears and can easy cope with down gearing like this but you have to use the revs more. 3rd gear on the mont is massive and plenty even with 9/43

I really don't feel it like that mate, at the quarry where we go playing there are some serious hills, check you tube for back cowm quarry. I do agree that the gears seem to be longer than my gasser, you get the feeling that it's a torquey 4 stroke with short sharp gears but it's not. I still think this has been set up more for week to week trials though which us not quite what I'm doing. Will try it wit 10/43 as I have it now and see how it goes. Suppose like anything else it's all personal preference.

What's standard gearing just out of interest?

Standard gearing is 10 and 41, with the standard combination you do not need a half link, whereas the 10 and 43 needs a half link, at least whilst the chain is new.

Most riders seemed to find the 10/41 to high for most trials, although would probably be perfect for many of the no stop events.

Standard gearing is 10 and 41, with the standard combination you do not need a half link, whereas the 10 and 43 needs a half link, at least whilst the chain is new.

Most riders seemed to find the 10/41 to high for most trials, although would probably be perfect for many of the no stop events.

thanks for that info mate, I'm gonna try standard gearing then I think as that's how the bike is meant to be from the montesa factory and I think them guys know what they're doing! I'll try standard then work out what I want from there. Cheers