Is It A Carb Ting?

squid

Hello to all.

I 'll try and explain whats going on the best I can.

I tried to get out to one of the spots that I like to play in. From my house to this particular place I have to use diddy little lanes and dirt tracks,lovely. Get to the junction just before me playground, bike stalls. Start bike 'its engine pitch has gone higher' pull away, 2 lurches, engine dies. Try this a few times all the same. So I sit in the grass and have a bit to eat and try again. Same thing ,but this time if I paddle along the engine picks up and Iam off.

Iam gettin moisture coming out of the end of me exhaust also.

Cheers

Squid.

Sounds like its fuel starvation, best bet would be to remove the carb, remove the float bowl remove the pilot jet and check its clear, check float bowl level and the action of the float needle. Get a can of carb cleaner and make sure all the air/fuel passage ways are clear, if you can blow through with compressed air this will help also.

Hello AndyT.

I shot out and bought a can of carb cleaner after getting your reply, just before the shops closed. I've cleaned the carb once before with only petrol+ I was too mincy to take the jets out that time as well.

I've just finnished doing it' properly I hope ' Going out now.

Cheers

Squid

Hello again.

Well I cleaned me carb and jets with carb cleaner, blasted the holes with air and its still misbehavin. I guess I need to do it again and soak the diddy bitz for a while. I probably got me setting a wee bit out as I've got smoke coming out of me exhaust now and still blowing out fuel onto the back of me number plate. Can anyone off the cuff tell me how many turns out are correct on the jet etc. Mines a 125, still, and I dont think anyone out theres rides this dinky model.

Cheers.

Squid.

Try the mixture 1 1/2 turns out for a start, its worth checking the float bowl height it should be about 21mm from where the gasket sits to the top of the bowl, this is measured with the carb inverted and the float tang just rests on the float needle. Check the floats not letting in fuel as this will weigh it down and give a false level, just remove the bowl and give it a shake to see if theres anything inside. Check the clip position on the slide needle, it should be ok on the 4 th one down from the top.

Hello AndyT again.

Thanks for keeping your eye on me problem and the clear replys you give me. I'd just cleaned it again and found I'd missed cleaning one of those L shaped plastic things that are on either side,one of them having a pipe attatched too. Are they overflow devises?

I just poped it back on but Iam going to take it off and do as you say concerning the float measure. I took the rear part of me exhaust off and had a fair bit of petrol in there.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Squid.

The needle that is in the center of the throttle slide, its held down by a big spring and a flat clip, remove these and the needle will come out, check that the clip on the needle is on the 4th position down from the top, this is a standard setting. the pipes are vents and over flows. If you still have problems check the two very small holes in the bore of the carb as they sometimes get blocked, stick some carb cleaner through them and make sure they are clear.

Andy T. me float seems good, the measure of the float hight at sorta 60 degrees is about 21 mm so hope fully thats good too.

How many turn outs on the throttle stop screw would you say would be a good starting point?

Cheers

Squid.

If your bike runs on slow tick over and your happy with it then that's the correct setting, all that the throttle stop screw does is to push the slide up or down to give you a setting on the revs that you prefer. The mixture can be played around with from the 1&1/2 turns out. Have a look on the net for carb tuning its probably better explained by others. Just checked on that mixture and it shouild be 1&1/4 turns out for the 125cc but it is only a start point.

A large lump of thanks to you AndyT.

I'll pop it back on tonight and hopefully get to have a tinker tomorrow.

Really appreciate your time on this, well, and the ones in the past.

Cheers

Squid.

• 9 months later...

I have a further question that I think is related to this.

I just rebuilt my sons TY80 carb' and all settings are as stated in the manual/here on this thread. It starts first kick and needs very little choke to start it/keep it going.

It apppears unwilling to rev up to higher reves, it's like it is struggling to draw enough fuel through quickly enough. Is this likely to be the Needle height? It is currently on the fourth clip down as per above, I was thinking I maybe need to raise the needle one position. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

Mick