Engine Died ?

filmoor

I have a 2004 Txt Pro 280 and for no reason the engine died mid section and would not restart, Suspecting the Spark plug I changed that and still no spark. So Kill switch disconnected No spark, wiring all good no corosion on earths or multi plugs. So any one had the same problem ? or is there any body in the Sheffield area that has the same Model of bike that would be willing to try my CDI and Regulator on thier bike to check mine. I suspect its the Stator but not sure if this is a common fault or not. Help and ideas please.

Edited by Filmoor

Mt mate has the same problem with his 300. he has swapped the regulator with mine and that was not the cause of it. he has been told to check the coil the cdi and the stator but stators vary rarely go wrong on the gas gas. he will be taking my bike as a donor bike in a few weeks to try find whats causing it, if you have had no joy by then i will let you know what we found to be the problem. if you solve it first please let us know you might just save us a lot of work. sorry i could not be of assistance straight away.

good luck. Paul

Mt mate has the same problem with his 300. he has swapped the regulator with mine and that was not the cause of it. he has been told to check the coil the cdi and the stator but stators vary rarely go wrong on the gas gas. he will be taking my bike as a donor bike in a few weeks to try find whats causing it, if you have had no joy by then i will let you know what we found to be the problem. if you solve it first please let us know you might just save us a lot of work. sorry i could not be of assistance straight away.

good luck. Paul

Will do Paul, for reference what year is your mates 300, and what ignition system has it mine 2004 Ducati type ignition

2004 and the ducati same as yours. we have a couple of mate who have betas and the symptoms are the same as there bike when the stators went. but they are renown for that gas gas are not. still might be a good place to start because everything else is a bit difficult to get at. the ducati box he replaced with mine and no joy his worked on my bike so thats fine.

Gday, it depends on which bit you tested. If you got 2-5 volts from the actual source coil that is way low, by about 90 volts AC. If testing the trigger that is way high, usually these produce about 1 volt at kickover. It sounds like you tested the source and it is too low - needs rewinding.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, it depends on which bit you tested. If you got 2-5 volts from the actual source coil that is way low, by about 90 volts AC. If testing the trigger that is way high, usually these produce about 1 volt at kickover. It sounds like you tested the source and it is too low - needs rewinding.

Cheers,

Stork

Yeah did it at source as you say. Yellow wire from the stator to the regulator.

Edited by Filmoor

Worth a try has it happened to me. The lead from the coil to the spark plug cap became a dry joint to which i unscrewed the plug cap nipped some cable off and rescrewed the cap back on to which fixed it.

Also had the fly wheel come loose which both are easy check to do in the list of things to try.

You can try temp most units on the bike ie 125 as its the mapping that different whilst testing.

Good luck

Worth a try has it happened to me. The lead from the coil to the spark plug cap became a dry joint to which i unscrewed the plug cap nipped some cable off and rescrewed the cap back on to which fixed it.

Also had the fly wheel come loose which both are easy check to do in the list of things to try.

You can try temp most units on the bike ie 125 as its the mapping that different whilst testing.

Good luck

Already check those parts out and both were fine. Cheers

My 2004 and 2006 bikes stopped like you said. Both times I ordered a regulator and CDI from Shirty. Both times it was the cheaper regulator and Shirty takes back the CDI as long as you heven't opened the packet. It appears these regulator units are prone to water tracking down between the body and the encapsulation. I broke in to both my faulty ones and found where water was getting in.

The regulator sits upside down and someone told me to turn it around so water didn't sit on the encapsulation for very long. Did this but then sold the bike for 2009 so don't know if it worked. The 2009 is very different so hopefully I'll never have this problem again.