Rev 3 250cc Spark Plug Issues

dannybooth

I've recently noticed my 2002 Rev 3 takes more than the usual one or two kicks to get it started. I haven't changed anything on my bike recently except the spark plug.

When I checked the plug it was heavily black with carbon deposit. When I felt it, it was viscous like oil. I have changed the spark plug and its now starting fine. It was an Iridium plug rather than the usual Copper core. I am now back on the Copper cores

I am now wondering what has caused this though as I had only done 3 hours riding to get that amount of black on the plug, am I mixing the pre-mix too heavy, using the wrong spark plug grade or is there a bigger problem lurking around the corner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi here are my tips for too much oil. Take off the exhaust and rinse it through with petrol. Let the excess evaporate. Repack the muffler. Give the bike a really good hard ride up a long hill to burn off the oil. Do this lots of times!.... the bike will smoke LOTS. Run the bike on 1:70 synthetic oil and give the bike a hard run each time you ride it. When this is done fit a fresh Iridium plug as they are fantastic.

Ralphy

Gday, what was the plug you fitted (the numbers on it?) there is a chance it was not the correct heat range. Oil should be 70:1. Correct plug is a NGK BP7ES, Champion NY7CC, Bosch WR5DC, Nippondenso W22EP-U or other similar plug. Iridium plugs are not necessary.

Cheers,

Stork

I would definitly use whatever the Beta factory recomends for a plug. I used Irideum plugs in my ford van once thinking they would offer better fuel econemy and they burnt the ignition coil. It literaly overheated and melted. The iridium plugs have a higher resistance built into them.

The Iridium plug was a NGK BP7ES and I'm now back on the Champion NY7CC. When I bought the bike it came with an NGK BP5ES fitted and there was hardly any carbon build up on it when changed it for the iridium.

I was mixing the fuel at 50:1 on the advice of my local trial shop even though the manual says mix at 1.5%. My mistake :barf:

I've fitted the recommended plug and will mix the fuel at 70:1 and give that a try.

On a side note I have noticed there is more smoke coming from the exhaust even though I have cleaned the pipe and repacked it recently. Is this just any excess oil in the system burning off? And will pushing the correct fuel mixture through the system eventually correct this?

The Iridium plug was a NGK BP7ES and I'm now back on the Champion NY7CC. When I bought the bike it came with an NGK BP5ES fitted and there was hardly any carbon build up on it when changed it for the iridium.

on the older rev 3 the BP5ES plug is the right one to use, the others dont run hot enough. i hade the same problem and swaped to a BP5ES and had no bother at all after that. use the highest qualty two stroke oil mixed at 1.5% 75cc to 5lt of fuel.

Be aware that the heat range numbers are opposite between the NGK and Champion. The "7" in a Champion is quite "cold" and you need in the "10-11" range, which is roughly equal to a "5-6" range in the NGK.

Jon

I read here that Lampkins Beta UK recomends the NGK BP5ES over the BP7ES for the same reasons that Paul w mentioned. The Hotter heat range is probobly why the plug was clean when you checked it. I know everyone has a favorite 2 cycle oil but I thought I would mention this anyway. I dont know if you can find this oil where you live.

http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-2.htm

I have been using it for a year In my EVO mixed at 70 to 1 with very good results. It burns clean and dosent smoke after the motor gets hot. I pulled the header pipe recently and there were no marks or visable wear on the piston It still looked new after 10 months of weekend use. This oil was designed to be mixed at 100 to 1.

The excess smoke is most likly from the pipe. Most 2 cycle pipes will produce excess smoke when they get real hot.

Edited by Liviob

Gday, it sounds like you are on the right track here. FYI - a "BP" NGK is not an Iridium plug, it is the "normal" type. The smoke will be coming from the wrong oil ratio - remember you always burn what you mix in your fuel on a 2 -stroke. In our part of the world NGK 7's work well, outside temps range between about 0-35 C. I see the older plug was black - fouled - so this all fits for me. How is it going at the moment?

Cheers,

Stork

Fitted BP5ES plug, drained the fuel and put a mixture of 70:1 of super unleaded and castrol 2t. Its starting up much quicker now. I haven't take it for a proper run yet but I'm confident.

I'm still getting clean smoke on start up which looking at the advice is residual oil from the last fuel up of the wrong ratio.

Still find it weird to go against the manual in terms of which spark plug they recommend but I aint gonna argue with results.

Many thanks for all the advice.