jsp

I am in the market for a new pair of boots and i have been looking at either

Sidi

Alpinestars

Gearne

whats the pros and cons of each boot and i have noticed there are

two types of Gearne whats the difference

jsp

I've just bought a pair of Diadora Stone 3's with the waterproof booty thing. I got the brown oiled leather type and so far I really like them. I wore them for the first time on sunday and they were very comfy. I can only recommend that you keep trying them on until you find a boot that suits your foot. The Stone 2's I tried initially felt horrible, as did Hebo's.

The cheaper boots are made using Lorica (i think this is what was meant when 'lycratex' was mentioned....) which is a leather substitute. Marginally easier to care for but doesn't bed in quite as well as leather.

Gaernes come in Lorica and Leather versions. Not sure about the others.

As a man involved in bootmaking I take a lot of care selecting boots, out of the ones I looked at the leather Gaernes seemed to be the best and after 2 years I am more than happy and they're still going strong.

I bought a pair of diadora Stones last year and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I wouldn't buy them again though as they offer as much water proofing as a tea bag. I wear SealSkinz socks that are waterproof but still don't like the feeling of the water sloshing about my feet. They don't offer much ankle protection either.

Gaerne Oil leather next time. I've had two pairs of these before and they last and stay waterproof a long time.