Modified Cub Rear Swing Arm

brucey

Dave,

Very nice looking Cub. Is that the tank that was on e bay recently?

I'm thinking about running my silencer (which is the same as yours) up the front of the rear sub frame. I also have a remote oil filter to fit and intend to make an oil cooler.

The standard trials swing arm which I lengthened and widened looks good. I'm also going to have a go at unbrazing the front end of my late Bantam swing arm which is cranked both sides. I will make some lengthening pieces and scollop out both sides where the tyre goes. This will move the shock mounting points back a bit but leave the width unaltered.

If anyones interested, I'll post some more photos as I progress with the build.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

With a make shift ignition set-up (points & coil) I got it running tonight. A bit worrying as it took a short while for the oil to circulate. Will now purchase an electronic ignition from electrexworld.

Yes, that was the tank on eBay............ or should I say colander! Not sure if it is worth trying to seal or maybe using as a pattern. (porous rather than a split seam).

Very interested to see pictures of your progress Bruce, I'm sure it will help me make improvements to mine in the unlikely event of my riding ability deserving it!

Dave

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brucey

The ball race cranks were introduced for '62 starting at engine number 84269.

The first years production still had the distributor including the first TR20s.

Side points appeared at the beginning of '63 at engine number 88347.

However, the distributor drive also drives the oil pump so that remained to the end.

Big ends (the plain bush type) did increase in size with time but a roller big end is an absolute must.

Good luck

Stick

Stick,

Many thanks for the information.

The number on my complete oval barrel engine is T20 870-- so it looks like it will have a ball race crank (and I'm assuming big end).

The New cases I have bought are from a 1965 engine.

Ray Small built my last Cub engine so I have never pulled one apart untill now!

My intention was to get the new crank cases modified for PVL ignition (I prefer the original set up), and sprocket change mod, then swap the other parts over. I have aquired a square barrel and head also.

Saying that, I seem to have bought a trials cub to upgrade and ended up replacing almost all of it! At this rate, I'll have almost 2 bikes!

Bruce.

When Cub engine/frame numbers approached 99999, Triumph changed the series to 101 in late 1964 and stamped it on the left side of the crankcase instead of on the engine mount.

I had TR20 123 in 1967 and it's still around in the north west.

The square barrel didn't arrive until until early '65 at around the T20 1800 mark.

Thanks to Mike Estall's excellent book - 'Triumph Tiger Cub Bible' for the data.

Stick,

Thanks for the information. I may have confused you slightly by not giving my full engine number in my previous post. I was afraid it may be cloned, although we are all friends here!

My original (complete , oval barrell) engine number has T20 87031 stamped on the front engine mount. The new cases I have just bought have T20 3164 stamped on the left hand side of the cylinder base. Both cases have side points.

I just wanted confirmation that the bits from the complete engine would fit the new cases before I send them away to have PVL mountings machined.

I also note that I can fit a higher output oil pump to the new cases (

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information MatchlessMan.

As I've already got a small external filter, I'll stick that on first to give a bit of additional oil capacity and see how I get on.

The engine is currently with Alan Whitton waiting to have the crank cases machined for the PVL ignition. I was going to get a set of later (fully ball raced) crank cases modified but can't find an affordable crank to fit them.

Someone mentioned it may be possible to get my plain bearing engine modified to accept a fully ball raced crank but Alan said not to bother!

I seem to have hit a wall building this Cub as I keep spending money but don't seem to get any closer to finishing it.

I'm also looking for a square barrel with all its fins and a Kawasaki Z200 piston to fit it if anyone can help!

Best Regards,

Bruce.

• 11 years later...

Can anyone help????? I purchased a cub frame which was supposedly fitted with a wide swinging arm..... However I'm begining to wonder if it is.... Does anyone know the actual width of a standard cub S/A  or a standard cub wide S/A so I can check which I have.... I dont want to modify it if it is a wide one as I'm building a stock looking trial's cub with correct steel tank's fork's etc rather than a trick one...... Pete