Beta 3 Tickover Speed Is Variable

pauldalgarno

Hi Folks,

I have a 2005 Beta Rev 3 250 cc and am finding the tickover speed is varying up and down while out on the bike. It's enough to cause some issues - if it goes too slow I'm in danger of stalling, and if it's too fast then it'll push the front when trying the slow balance stuff.

It's not consistently getting higher or lower as I run, but varying.

I've cleaned out the carb several times, all jets out, cleaned and blasted with compressed air. The thermostat works fine, and fan comes on to regulate temperature OK. The throttle cable is not sticking, the slide is running freely. The carb float levers are parallel to the carb base.

Not near to my bike now, but I assume it has an air screw on the carb - how many turns from fully in should this be, and would this cause erratic idle speed anyway?

Any other ideas for things to check, easy, cheap obvious ones first please.

Cheers,

Paul

Jitsie do an easily adjustable tick over screw that you can change(adjust) as you ride.I didn't think I had any reason to have one but bought one anyway because it was bling but have since found that I actually use it quite alot over the course of a day.

Edited by anyoldiron

does it speed up when you turn fuel off to run it out of fuel? check float height theres loads of stuff in beta forums. you can adsjust std air screw with your finger nail my normal procedure is with warm/hot engine adjust air screw to get smoothest tickover possible without it hunting it is an air screw on that carb so in makes it rich and out makes it weak(more air) they are buggers to run smooth and keep running going long downhill i.e too little fuel in float bowl will run lean and conk out downhill ..too much will tend to flood engine but you can get consistent air srew control. check out the forums good luck