Wrist Braces

Anyone used anything they've found particularly good to either speed up healing or protect it post healing? Am in my 3rd NHS cast so far and I only broke it on Sat. Am considering and Aircast Wrist Cast Aircast Link but haven't used them before and wondered if anyone found it better. I keep working my cast loose and have a fair bit of thumb movement so its not helping the healing process much. The aircast has a pump option which should keep it fixed.

I'm also looking at an Allsports Dynamic Wrist Brace to get me back riding in time for the Scottish AllSports Site and limit the damage so I can continue rehabbing it after. It comes with pins to lock wrist extension which is what did my initial damage. If anyones used one or knows anyone who has I'd appreciate your feedback on how easy it was to ride in and if it helped before I spend my cash.

Cheers

Yep - don't ride the expert route until its healed........

So you'd advise a lower route? I can't currently hold a fork never mind a handlebar. I'm not missing out on Scotland unless I really have to so I need something to help me stabilise it. Am well aware of the complications but I think I can manage it well enough if I get it pinned ASAP and then get 3 weeks rest. It was your section at the Centre round where I first hurt it as well...heard a crack on that drop on my 3rd lap.

Don't ride until it is right - otherwise you're looking at a chronic injury. Or get a 'pain killing injection' and really screw it up. Those moto GP boys are going to be cripples

Jim ...Doctor to the stars

So you'd advise a lower route?

I was being facetious - having seen you riding with injuries that would put most folk in bed for a week. but with an injury like that, I would have thought only complete rest will sort it.

You of all people don't need advice re injury rehabilitation from anyone on here though - do you!

My dad had a pit accident and damaged the same part over thirty years ago and still only has partial movement in his wrist.

I was being facetious - having seen you riding with injuries that would put most folk in bed for a week. but with an injury like that, I would have thought only complete rest will sort it.

You of all people don't need advice re injury rehabilitation from anyone on here though - do you!

My dad had a pit accident and damaged the same part over thirty years ago and still only has partial movement in his wrist.

Ah right. Yeah I know all the problems with Avascular Necrosis, if they can do the op called a percutaneous fixation it'll drastically reduce my healing time and allow me full use pretty soon. My aim and reason for wanting others advice is that I've never treated a patient whose gone this route so I want to know of anyone whose used any of the braces or healed quicker than expected. I'm not taking this route to get back riding (although I will) but to enable me to return to my Physio degree sooner (need my thumb). I had to suspend my studies for a year due to my knee op last september and I don't fancy this wrist dragging into another year and having the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy deciding I'm not fit enough to work with patients again. As much as I don't mind doing hours in a Royal Mail sorting office as it pays some bills I can't face another year waiting to qualify.

Hi Mate,

Im an ex-roadracer, borke both ankles, talus, scaphoid, radius and ulna in 2008 then sternum, collarbone and 95% of ribs (plus both lungs punctured) last year - a close one.

Comment about moto-gp racers being cripples in the future is spot on.

The problem with scaphoid is that its surrounded by other bones and so the blood supply to it is poor.

This sounds daft but the best thing ive ever found is comfry oil - get it from supermarket or health shop, rub it in. Definately works.

I was also told to eat/drink lots of dairy products (calcium).

I was sensible, didn't push the healing process and Im in good shape, I know others with injuries much less serious who struggle because they pushed it too soon.

cheers

Stu

Hi Mate,

Im an ex-roadracer, borke both ankles, talus, scaphoid, radius and ulna in 2008 then sternum, collarbone and 95% of ribs (plus both lungs punctured) last year - a close one.

The problem with scaphoid is that its surrounded by other bones and so the blood supply to it is poor.

This sounds daft but the best thing ive ever found is comfry oil - get it from supermarket or health shop, rub it in. Definately works.

I was sensible, didn't push the healing process and Im in good shape, I know others with injuries much less serious who struggle because they pushed it too soon.

cheers

Stu

Jesus, you've been in the wars!

I fear this is what will happen to me one day... I've only been riding 3 weeks and ive already had a 1 week of a limp and a dodgy knee and now the ball of my foot hurts to put weight on from bailing a power wheely cause i went to far back

Hi Mate,

cheers

Stu

Cheers mate, I'll try the comfry oil, hadn't thought of that. Am avoiding dairy as theirs not a great deal in it once its been pasturised and am getting calcium mainly from bone broths (chicken soup cooked with the bones in to get extra minerals, calcium etc) green leafy veg, salmon and the odd bit of raw dairy when I can get it.

Have got a Scanar machine to accelerate bone growth so I should heal pretty quick, only the bone scan will tell though I guess. They're pretty sick of my 'dangerous sport' at Uni and have already said I need to choose Physio or Bike.....easy question really.

It's like that at my work. i'm only temp so If I brake a bone I'm pretty much gone. That said you work so you can have a life, not arange your life so it suits your work. Cant live in bubblewrap all your life and not enjoy it

It's like that at my work. i'm only temp so If I brake a bone I'm pretty much gone. That said you work so you can have a life, not arange your life so it suits your work. Cant live in bubblewrap all your life and not enjoy it

Bubblewrap might be handy though :thumbup: I have a slightly dulled sensation to pain so can quite easily smash myself up and not realise till later...hence the wrist being so bad.

Had a result with the cast, ordered a cheaper version for post op and they've accidently sent the expensive one. Bonus

Hate hearing you are banged up again, Billy!

As the saying goes, there are Old riders and Bold riders, yet few Old Bold riders!

Intentionally doing stupid stuff beyond your limits will catch up with you, Johnny!

Ride smart, stay safe is the motto here! There is plenty enough to go wrong without helping things along!

BTW Billy, what do you know/think about the pulsed laser healing therapy?

Thoughts on surgeons! They often screw up more stuff than they fix! Avoid at all costs unless absolutly neccessary!

Billy will survive a year without a SSDT to beat him up! There are plenty of smaller challenges to be had. Would not even consider it if not 100%!

Doubt he will listen!

:thumbup:

Edited by copemech

Hate hearing you are banged up again, Billy!

As the saying goes, there are Old riders and Bold riders, yet few Old Bold riders!

BTW Billy, what do you know/think about the pulsed laser healing therapy?

Billy will survive a year without a SSDT to beat him up! There are plenty of smaller challenges to be had. Would not even consider it if not 100%!

Doubt he will listen!

:bouncy:

So do I mate, such a simple drop in a section at the Chris Carter Novagar round but I think I'd maybe done a little damage a few weeks before in Centre round so when I heard a crack I knew what it was. Love the old bold quote though, I'll be using that one :thumbup:

Seen some good research papers on it, Ultra sound is typically used by UK Physio's despite their not being much evidence of its effectiveness. Won't do a think for me as I know its not good but the placebo effect works on others so it does have some uses. My scanar machine works on electrical activity in the muscle and gives you a reading. You can then work on the worst (lowest) areas. In the summer my knee gave a reading of 11 at the impact site and I've used it to speed up recovery.

For once I am listening to others advice and the same stuff I'd tell other people, just keeping my fingers crossed for some positives!! Bit gutting as I'd already been considering this may be my final SSDT due to needing to protect my knee now. Doc's told me if my new brace isn't working the next stage is partial knee replacements and I'm not keen on that idea so if it has to be just club trials then thats what I'll be doing ^_^