Ty175 Project

76ty175

SANY0011.jpg

Just found this one. I have removed the seats and tank. The tank has lots of rust inside. Is there any way to save it, maybe a coating or something? Anyway its a long term project, my goal is to use this one for comp and keep my other one, which is 100% stock and original, as a looker.

SANY0009.jpg

Edited by 76TY175

Yes,I've just restored my tank last week. The product I used is called restom and it works a treat. Its a 3 stage treatment.

1st product degreases 2nd one gets rid of the rust and the 3rds a resin to seal it. I've used it before and its brilliant.

Iam in france but Iam sure you can get it else where or another manufacturer.

I have used both POR15 and Caswell's. Had no problems with either(I would avoid Kreem, I've had cracking problems with it). Make sure and follow the directions exactly and clean out the inside of the tank prior to the coating process.

I mount the tank on a rotissary grill, put in a couple of hand fulls of bolts or stones, some dish washing soap, little water and let it rotate for 10 to 15 hours. Might need to change the mounting of the tank a couple of times to make sure all areas get cleaned. Usually comes out looking almost new.

Great find, should be a lot of fun

Alan

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - it looks great! Did you spray the fenders and plastic autolube oil cover as well?

I used "KRYLON Fusion" which matched the frame really close, not quite as high gloss but works well. The fenders bend with out any effect on the paint. :mellow: