4rt Tinkles After Hit To Baseplate

trialbat

I was driving a week ago and hit the baseplate to a rock edge. The hit wasnt particular hard, more or less something that happens every now and then. After this hit, I have noticed a strange noise like a metallic tinkle. It doesnt occur when in idle, but as the revs increase it is like motor would knock or resonate against something hard. Bike feels normal, engine has power, nothing else has changed but the new noise. I looked today everything I could imagine that could be loose or if there would be for example broken bolt or something but nothing. Tomorrow I will open both sides of the motor, check if there is anything loose and change the fluids. Friend of mine with same bike model drove the bike but didnt hear or find anything to worry about.

Anyone had any issues like this when hitting the baseplate hard or for some other reason noises like this?

Edited by TrialBat

I think TC member 'The Addict' had a similar problem years ago with a small stone between the sump and bash-plate doing some damage to the casing...see if he chimes in,my memory's not so good!

So you mean that removing the skidplate and testing it without it could be solution for this problem?

Or you may see the cause of the noise. Alu skid plates can be very noisy, the stock skid plate on your bike is rather thin and easily damaged. You may well find that once you take it off you can't get it back on.