Rear Rim Strip

gasgasmi

I have a rim strip driving me nuts. Had a small leak, very small, until after I mounted a new tire. After the new tire was on it was leaking bad out of the spokes so I installed a new rim strip (one pc valve stem type). Cleaned the wheel, lubed the strip good, made sure it was seated, aired it up and it leaks worse than ever. Nothing to lose at this point I took it back off and put bead sealer on the rim filling every spoke hole and coating the rim. Still leaking from the spokes. Anyone got a miracle cure? I have another strip coming but not sure it'll be here in time for the weekend. HELP!

No miracle but works everytime. Clean the rim and tape well then apply silicon compound (bathroom sealer) round the rim over the spokes then fit the tape.

If and when you take it off the silicon comes with it or can be rubbed off by hand.

Simples

I let it set first. If its leaking at all the air path will remain during and after the drying process. I don't think you need to leave it to dry completely though.

Oh, heat help the drying process too if your in a hurry.

Edited by bigfoot

You can also check for a small tear on the rim strip that was caused by a tire iron. I had one on mine and it is hard to see unless the strip is off and you closely inspect it. I patched it with a bicycle patch kit as well as the silicone treatment and no more leaking.

Silkoflex marine sealant.

Some will tell you that all you need is patience and you can get it to seal without using sealant. I tried over and over again and ran out of time, patience and energy.... and it still leaked, so I bought some Silkoflex and plastered it on.

If there is a knack to fitting a rim tape, I certainly don't have it. :thumbup:

Pete

Silkoflex marine sealant.

Some will tell you that all you need is patience and you can get it to seal without using sealant. I tried over and over again and ran out of time, patience and energy.... and it still leaked, so I bought some Silkoflex and plastered it on.

If there is a knack to fitting a rim tape, I certainly don't have it. :thumbup:

Pete

Where can i get this silkoflex pete.

It works! I pulled the tire off, cleaned everything as good as I could and filled each spoke hole carefully with the sealant then ran a thin bead all the way around on each side. After putting the strip back in place I let it set up over night, put the tire back on yesterday first thing in the morning and it still had the exact pressure last night. I had tried the silicone years ago but was lazy and only put it outside the strip which didn't do anything for me. All good for now.

Thanks!