Convert To 'stealth'

olec

Hi guys!

In lack of any trial clubs / track etc. where I live (withing 1,5 hours), I've been just playriding and practising in my fathers woods a year or so. After he did some serious logging there, all the sections and tracks are destroyed.

OK. So I have another friend who is one hour from me with a Sherco 4t. We plan to let's say 'explore' with the bikes (also on private lands owned by others). As it is VERY illegal here in Norway to go offroad with any motorized vehicle (only on approved closed circuits), things can happen :rolleyes: In those cases its nice to know your bike is very silent.

So in a plan to make it as 'stealth' as possible, what to do?

The bike is popping too much. Its a '06 Rev3 270. I've read some threads and I will go over the exaust and make sure noe false air is coming in / out. Also the reeds will be checked. The PO was expert / elite rider and the bike has been used in events. So I asked him about jetting and he didn't remember at the time, but said it was set up the best he could / liked at the time he handed it over to me.

I am thinking about one of those db snorkels or whatever. I don't know if it'll fit, but I will check up on that. I don't care if I loose some ponies as the main goal is make is as quiet as possible.

So I am thinking that I must try to reduce the popping first (despite its quite normal I hear), and later try to reduce the overall db.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!

when i had one of those bikes i quietened it down by machining an aluminium tube that i pushed into the the exit pipe of the ctr exhaust box (ie just before the tail pipe). It took the pop and some of the volume away. It made the bike quite torquey and i couldn't notice any loss if top end, although i am sure it did come down. I can't remember the size but it was approx 40mm long and about 4mm wall thickness. DON"T tap it right in..... you may want to remove it some day.

Also make sure the pilot jet is correct size and retard the timing 4mm.

Do you have the landowners permission to ride on the land or is your problem that the Government does not allow off-road riding?

Its forbidden by law. You must have a special permission to use any motorized vehicles 'off-road' (doesn't matter if you are the landowner). Earlier we didn't care, and most didn't. But it has gotten worse and the current fine is approx $2.500 USD if you get caught. 'Stealth' is a good thing. I am pretty sure I will own an electric bike also in a few years.

Edited by olec

yes...

Thanks!

About retarding the timing. Are you referrring to a 4mm change on the statorplate whatever (compared to some marks) or do you mean 4mm in piston travel? Gosh... I really hope you mean that stator 'marks'.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update:

Repacked the end pipe / silencer today. Didn't reduce anything in volume or popping. Old stuffing was of course very "oily", but that's pretty normal for all 2-bangers I've owned. Also checked he exhaust end to end and no leaks found. Tomorrow I will retard the timing 4mm as described. I am not quite sure what that means, but I guess its moving the stator plate whatever 4mm so it ignites LATER. Anyway, I can reverse it if no success.

BTW, mounted the long ranke tank and seat also and had a short testride. This is going to be the perfect weapon for sneaking around in the woods. If I only could get it a bit quieter I'd be super happy. Better I check out that tip for the 40mm insert in the ctr box right now.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Every Beta I've had pops a little bit - I saw another Beta rider that took, I think a 45 degree angle cooper tubing elbow and shaped it to insert in the end of the exhaust and that quieted it down a little bit. I tried the same thing and it was quieter but also lost some power so I quit using it.

I would like to hear of other solutions as my riding buddies rib me about my noisy bike.

thanks.