Bultaco M199a

trials09

Hi Everyone

I have a Bultaco M199a Frame which someone has slightly changed. I am after some frame dimnesions. Such as the Wheel base and is that measured with the suspenion loaded or unloaded? Steering head angle.

Also to help get things line up I am also after the aluminium skid plate spec's. Doyou know of anybody selling these?

Look forward to your help

Regards

Trial09

A problem with steepening the head angle on the Sherpa is that the front mudguard hits the frame downtube so it is limited how far in the forks can be pulled. If your mudguard doesn't hit the tube with the forks depressed I'd leave it as it is, as although it isn't necessarily needed, if the front has been pulled in it will improve the steering.

Thanks for the info feetup. If you could, the fork angle measurment would be grreat. Also do you mean by topped that the front suspension is fully compressed?

Hi woody

The frame was intended for sidecar use as it appears. I am considering restoring the frame back to standard being a M199a. I know were I can get the chrome molly tubing etc to complete the task

However, you make a good point. The wheel base is about 3" shorter and on checking the clearance between the guard and down tube I believe they will miss.

I sat the engine in the frame and thought this just might work. So you have me re-thinking my options. Thankyou.

The alloy skid plate is missing. I know the hole spacing at back of the plate and I can work out the curve section. But could anyone help with the front two hole spacing measurment.

Great forum, thankyou for your help

Regards

Trials09

Edited by Trials09

OK I'll do a fork angle measurement.

Topped out is what the suspension does when you support the bike under the motor with the wheels off the ground. It is called topped out because it is the other end of the stroke to being bottomed out.

Are you saying your bike wheelbase is currently 3" longer than standard or 3"shorter than standard?

Your story sounds very familiar. I think we have spoken on the phone a couple of times about this Bultaco and your 349. I also posted a few photos of what the Bultaco frame should look like at the front end on this forum or the Aussie forum

David

Yes you are correct Dave we have discusssed this prviously and you did post some pictures thankyou. The wheel base is 3" shorter.

I understand that there was a factory mod were the engine was raised at the front which meant I thihk the front down tube was shortened slightly.

And I am trying to work out if the M199a frame was based on this mod. Ended up selling the 349, I might regret it but I needed to clear the deck a little you how pursuasive the ministry of finance can be.

Thanks woody I will check out the site.

Regards

Trials

Edited by Trials09

M198 standard frame, standard forks topped out, standard triple clamps, shockie mount centres 345mm, rear axle in middle of slot, Michelin tyres with riding pressure - fork tube angle 28 degrees from vertical

198 and 199a frames are different so figures taken from a 198 may not be correct,The swinging arm pivot was moved and the ground clearance increased, wheelbase should be the same, not sure about head angle though. It would be helpful if you posted some photos of your frame because at the moment it is difficult to work out where and what mods have been carried out. Its difficult to see how you can shorten a frame by 3 inches without some serious cutting.

Cheers Greg

199A frame has different ground clearance because of the alloy bashplate instead of the frame tubes. As far as I know the steering geometry and wheelbase are the same for both. sherpa325 if you are sure it is different geometry and have a 199A to measure please help out by providing the details required by Trials09.

I had an idea why the wheelbase may be so short. I've seen people fit early Sherpa T swingarms to late model frames to shorten the wheelbase. It requires interesting mods to get the rear engine mounting arrangement to work but it is possible.

Again photos will reveal all to people who know what Bultacos should look like.