Fantic 300 Fork Conversion

scrumpyjack

Hi all,, i am about to fit the 40mm fantic section forks to my 300, keeping it drum braked of course, the only problem is the top yolk is in poor condition and i am having trouble finding a better one..! even ellastone dont have one, i could buy a new one or get the one i have repaired but i thought i would see if anyone could help me on here first, so plz pm me if you have one kicking about in the garage.

Cheers: Scrumpy

It would be interesting to know, what you consider the benefits are of fitting later forks, with increased diameter stautions. Will it make you ride the bike more expertly. Is there something inherently wrong with the 35mm forks, something that FanticMotor were not aware of, when they designed the 300. Have you considered, that fitting these forks, could be interperated as NOT BEING IN THE SPIRIT OF THE CLASS. Your peers may have a little giggle and your elders might have a little tutt, but to my mind, seems a really fine way to spoil a fine bike. Don't forget there are other mods, which are allowed in the UK, hydralic clutch comes to mind, allowed here, but not on the continent, yes it's your bike and you can do whatever you want to it, but as you've just found out, all these parts are becoming hard to find.

As i ride my trusty fantic full time in all modern trials including nationals I dont think i will upset to many of the purists out there.... maybe my old forks will end up turned down in the lathe and inserted into the legs of a pre 65 bike like yours..? My reason is simple I am too heavy for my tiring old forks, and once powder coated red the forks from a 1995 fantic section dont look out of place.. Its not like i am fitting a reed inducted motor from a newer 305/ 307 or fantic clubman.

Scrumpy

I can understand changing forks if they are pitted and seen better days, so if your going to change the forks for some others then the section forks is a fair option (but they weren't great!), personally I reckon the best forks I had on a bike were upside down forks and then the montesa 315 forks. Loads of USD forks for sale!

Hydralic clutch - certainly dont bother with a fantic one, knowt wrong with a lightened cables clutch personally

What will be next on the twinshock modified scene. a mono with a dummy shock to call it a twin! Shouldn't be long till S3 start producing billet side casings and 300 style floating brake plates.

You have to admit the whole scene of trials has developed hugely in the last 5 or so years, people rarely blinged a trials bike, now there are so many after market parts its a hobby to bling.

Personally I think a line should be drawn somewhere on modifying a twinshock, but where? Then if a line is drawn people will just cheat it.

Back to the question in hand, sorry no section top yokes! but they should weld ok.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be interesting to know, what you consider the benefits are of fitting later forks, with increased diameter stautions. Will it make you ride the bike more expertly. Is there something inherently wrong with the 35mm forks, something that FanticMotor were not aware of, when they designed the 300. Have you considered, that fitting these forks, could be interperated as NOT BEING IN THE SPIRIT OF THE CLASS. Your peers may have a little giggle and your elders might have a little tutt, but to my mind, seems a really fine way to spoil a fine bike. Don't forget there are other mods, which are allowed in the UK, hydralic clutch comes to mind, allowed here, but not on the continent, yes it's your bike and you can do whatever you want to it, but as you've just found out, all these parts are becoming hard to find.

Hi Pete, long time no speak....

the 40mm marzocchis do a better job and are about 10mm shorter which steepens the head andgle a bit if the frame is left std. Also they flex less.

Finding a top yoke will be impossible to difficult but I have had some CNC d out of billet. Cost about 200 euros each though....

lee