2010 Back/mis-fire

johnnie_scotland

Hi all

Some advice would be much appreciated

I'm new to this awesome sport, and loving it, I have just purchased a 2010 sherco st250 which mis/back fires :rolleyes: often when kick starting...

I know of another rider with a 2010 290 and his appears to do the same.

Do they all do this?

Is this normal/no problem/to be expected?

Will it do damage to anything/engine?

What should I do?

Should I take it back to the dealer?

Will he laugh at me being for thick?

The bike seems to run well once started which is never a problem, plug looks fine to my eyes, I notice a change in spark plug from 2009 model could this be worth checking?

Many thanks for any views on this matter

John

It is normal. Limp boot may make it more prone, yet still normal.

You can slow the ignition timing just a tad and this will help. Also has a smoothing effect with little loss of performance if you only rotate the stator back(counter) 2-3 mm. from the factory setting. :rolleyes:

I should add the fact this is not a Sherco exclusive issue, as other bikes do the same, yet I do not track such stuff. Suffice it to say the factories just try to find a balance on the settings for good performance. Notice I said "good", not maximized an not minimized. :o

Edited by copemech

Also check the two bolts that hold the ign module to the head brace are tight , there are two ground wires that use the bolts for ground at this point, my bike started missfiring and this was the cause.