Oset Motor Sprocket Drive Pin Sheared

Our 2007 OSET 16 24V has seen a bit of use now and has had a few electrical component issues along the way, but has been quite sturdy mechanically until the drive pin for the motor sprocket sheared recently.

My 21kg son was riding in a manner I consider quite normal at the time, practicing crossing timber railway sleepers on a gentle uphill slope.

I know it is quite a simple job to replace the drive pin, but am wondering if it is a common failure or not, to help me decide whether I should use a different type of drive pin or the same again. The drive pin that it came with from new is a 3mm diameter steel roll pin.

• 2 months later...

I bought the first 16.0 24v that OSET put out. Have used the hell out of it. When it sheared, I was not aware. It was still working and I could not figure out why the front sprocket had migrated toward the motor, so much so the chain wore a groove into the side of the casing. I took it apart and replaced the sprocket and pin. However, I unecessarily took the motor apart and put the magneto back together backwards, so that the bike ran in reverse. I re-assembled, but then the motor was not as fast as before, maybe the contacts were damaged, as its tricky putting it back together. So, I just received the 36v swingarm today (I was already mouting a 3rd battery and running the 24v as a 36v). Long story short, I am running the chain tight now as I suspect loose chains produce pin pains. I.E, the slapping of a loose chain can act as a type of lackhammer that shears the pins.