Techno Running Backwards - Bad Kickback - Learn The Hard Way

nevilletanner

Hi

I am posting this hoping that others may learn from my experiance the easy way - i didnt !!

About 6 months ago i got a 97 Techno ( i had been after a trial bike for a while ).

When i got it home i noticed that the kickback from the kickstart was "lets say dangerous" at best, quite often kicking hard enough to make me hobble about for a few hours,

the other thing i noticed was that if the kick was a bit half harted the engine would run backward so i posted the problem on here and got several pointers to check, mainly

timing and broked drift key - non of these were wrong.

After a few trips out i noticed that the bike wouldnt rev out properly and didnt seem very powerful - about the same as my old KMX125 (25hp) but there was a good bit of torq in the low revs,

as this was the first trial bike i have owned i thought that it was ok and that the revs dont go very high anyway compaired to the other bike. Again i questioned this on here and got a good few idears

that seemed to help.

A few weeks back i took my daughter out on her 80cc PW ( 6HP ) and noticed that she was keeping up with me quite easy, especially on long hills - mainly due to running out of revs,

The next day i went out and the engine boiled up, so i took the bike home and decided a engine strip down was required especially as the spark plug was indicating a very rich mixture.

After stripping i found that the head and piston had a mild coating of carbon so while it was apart i completely de-carbed the engine and exhaust, i replaced all the rubber seals with new ones and rebuilt the engine,

then for good measure i cleaned out the carb and also pulled the flywheel to check the drift key etc.

Well after the rebuild the bike started up fine but as soon as the engine warmed up there was the same problems again with a new fault on top - huge backfires from the exhaust.

still no power, still kicking back on the kick start, still not revving, still overheating.

I pulled the flywheel again and mover the stator (which was well advanced) into the middle position, now the backfire was there at idle and as soon as you opened the throttle the engine died.

Flywheel again, this time i retarded the timing (i am now 45 degrees from the original position) and guess what .. the bloody this wont run at all just a huge backfire from the exhaust. so i reset it back to the original position

which was extremely advanced.

Well after reading through a hell of alot of posts i decided the next step was either the CDI or the STATOR, a quick phone call to BVM and a 98 CDI is on its way ( i was told that it is the same as the 97) and also a thermostat just in case,

im now

Edited by nevilletanner

Hi Ya Neville,

Hope you are well , as for your post ..my you have been busy.. bike kicking back.. over taken by 80cc... timing,

as for pulling wheelies 2/3/4.. sounds classy to me LOL.

just putting new fork seals on mine , other wise it`s going good ,just have the popular problem with a leaky carb ,ready for first trial on the 20th.

Cheers William

• 2 months later...

hi there, i know this is an old post but i got to say.. you should never kick any bike over without mx or trials boots on. i learnt that a while ago when i nearly snapped my shin.. just picked up a techno myself so hop i dont have the same p[roblems but at least i know where to look to fix them.

hi there, i know this is an old post but i got to say.. you should never kick any bike over without mx or trials boots on. i learnt that a while ago when i nearly snapped my shin..
Amen brother! I've been trying to heal a gash on my right ankle for 9 weeks now after starting my beta up for a friend to ride. I had sneakers on and my foot slipped off the lever and the footpeg took a hunk off my ankle.

A note on the bike running backwards thing. I had an Ossa Pioneer as a kid that did that once. Bent the conn rod.

I had a Can-Am run backwards on me. Never ran right either. After trying to fix it for years I noticed with a timing light the timing retarding rather then advancing as the revs went up. Swapped the two wires out of the stator to the CDI and it ran mint. Promptly sold.

If you have a Beta with the old rubber tube on steel kickstarter Get rid of it. The aluminum starter from a '99 Techno or later will fit and add years to your shins. Trust me. I had an '89, '91, '95, '00, '02, '05 and '08. The 89-95 used to beat the hell out of my leg constantly. Once I got the '00 with the aluminum starter it just stopped happening.

I had this problem on a nearly new 1996 Techno. A call to Lampkins put me straight.

It was simply water ingress at the connection with the big black box under the tank cover. I took the plug apart and blew out with an airline, reassembled with plenty of WD40 - sorted.

As regular maintenance I paid particular attention to keeping that connection dry and coated in WD40 and never had another problem for the 2 or 3 years I kept the bike.