Montesa 348 Swingarm

bestrcpilot

Did Montesa have difference swing-arm on the 348? I'm rebuilding my Dad's old 348 and I have two swing-arms one is 14 inches from the shock mount to the pivot point and has the kickstand mount is on the left side, the other is 16 inches from the shock mount to the pivot point and never had a kickstand or mount. I seem to remember that when Dad got the bike in England and bought the the bike into the States there was no lickstand on the bike. But after 30+ years I'm not sure.

Here are some pics.

100_0194.jpg

100_0193.jpg

Scott

Edited by bestrcpilot

Hmm, not sure about this, but I think you may be confusing a 348 s/arm with that from the 349 which was AFAIK a bit longer. So I would think you have a 349 s/arm as well.

Looks like you're doing a cracking restoration there. Any chance of more pics?

Edited by TooFastTim

Thanks for the reply. But I do know that both swing-arms off a 348. The one without a kickstand mount is from the bike from England and the one with a kickstand is from a bike from the states. The Family story is that the bike is a old "works" bike.

So I'm trying to find out if Montesa did make two swing-arms, or if the one without a kickstand could be a "one off"

here are some more Pic.

100_0187.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0189.jpg

One nice thing about living alone is you can rebuild a bike in the house.

The braces for the headstock Dad had to weld on after the bike almost broke in half back in the day. When the bike came across the pond there was no braces

Does anyone know where to get new spokes for both wheels. When I was trying to clean up the wheels, I broke some. So I think it's time to re spoke the wheels

Scott

The Family story is that the bike is a old "works" bike.... or if the one without a kickstand could be a "one off"

Ah, that could well be the case. I've had one myself (a 349). What side is the gearlever? If it's on the right it's probably an ex Rathmell bike.

The braces for the headstock Dad had to weld on after the bike almost broke in half back in the day. When the bike came across the pond there was no braces

Common problem.

Does anyone know where to get new spokes for both wheels. When I was trying to clean up the wheels, I broke some. So I think it's time to re spoke the wheels

Scott

Try Jared bates at South West Montesa

The gearshift is on the Left.

One of the strange thing about this bike is after stripping the fame I found a #2 stamped on the top of the backbone you could not see it with the paint on it and a #2 on the bottom of the triple clamp. And the seat as always been Red not black. I don't know if any of these changes mean anything or not.

I'm going to go with the swing-arm that has no kickstand as it is lighter.

Was it common back in the day to remove the lighting coil from under the flywheel. There is none on the bike and it looks like there never was one.

I will ring up SW Montesa in the morning about the spokes.

The bike did ran until the tear down. After 30+ years it was time for a bit of clean-up.

I rode it in NY twinshock trials until I got Ty175 last year.

I had to get the Ty as that is what I rode when Dad rode the 348

You know a grey hair reliving the fun times.

And here is the Ty almost done.

100_0147.jpg