Hello

r0b

Hello,

I am new to the Trial scene and looking to get into Trials riding. Never really done it before but would like to give it a go.Might get up to some Trials in the next couple of months to see what its all about.

Any advice?

What sort of bike would I get with about

Hello,

I am new to the Trial scene and looking to get into Trials riding. Never really done it before but would like to give it a go.Might get up to some Trials in the next couple of months to see what its all about.

Any advice?

What sort of bike would I get with about

I am from Manchester mate.

I was thinking something like a Beta or Gasgas what are they built like.

I'm not sure what's on round Manchester, but I'm sure somebody will help you with that.

I have a '99 Gas Gas and I love it, (I think Gassers are like wine - some years are better than others)

it's reliable (1st or 2nd kick),

lo-maintenance,

easy to ride,

has soft power,

easy to recover from mistakes.

but it's a bit heavier and not as pretty as the newer models.

Never had a Beta so I couldn't really comment.

From Manchester!

Do a search for 'manchester17.org' or PM me. The club runs some 'Dead Easy' trials.

They are aimed at kids, total beginners, but also there is a harder route which is still quite easy!

You will have join a club (

Hi Rich,Cheers for the reply.

Yeah I've heard about Manchester 17 when I was thinking about taking up Trials ages ago. Dead easy, is that riding on pebbles then,lol.

A school for Trials, Motorcross needs to be set up somewhere so that potential future riders can have a go and even get taught. I am going to a few bike shops in the next couple of weeks to take a look at a few bikes.

Agreed with Manchester 17, great club and run some great trials.

Also agree with getting boots, lid, gloves etc before practising - is soo much easier riding in the right boots as opposed to no boots or MX boots

Bike wise, you have a good budget so could choose pretty much anything make you want.

All have pro's and cons against them so here's my opinion in order of suitability as a start up bike.

Gas Gas TXT Pro 250 - best all rounder, best for a start up bike, very reliable, very forgiving, best engine and great suspension and easy to look after but you will need to keep up on basics like checking all bolts etc are tight. Not looked at pricing recently but with your budget I would expect that you could get a 2009 250 (with new tubular frame) if not the pre 2009 is the same bike but with a different frame. As a start up I would avoid the 280cc or 300cc as they are more pokey

Beta Rev3 250/270 - another great all rounder and great start up bike. IMO a bit front end heavy but very stable and very reliable (except for a known and continued problem for stators going) again price wise you should be fine to get a good 2008 (white) Rev3 which I think had the Keihin carb on. If you get an earlier model it will have the ancient and useless Mikuni carb on.

Scorpa SY250 - possibly the ideal start up bike (depending on what you like) has the Yamaha TYZ 250 engine which is super smooth, very forgiving, offers great grip and is very reliable. I personally find them a bit sluggish, but again as a start up bike this could be ideal. Later models have far superior Marzocchi forks on. My Scorpa knowledge is minimal in terms of problems etc so can only say based on bikes I have ridden. BAsed on your budget I'd expect you could get a very clean late model or an 'anniversary' special edition

Montesa 4RT 250 (4 stroke) - IMO, a horrible bike - big, heavy, noisy, waaaay too expensive to buy and run. HOWEVER its basically a Honda, with Honda engine and is easily the best put together bike in terms of build quality and component quality. Some people love them, others hate them. I've never owned one so can only say on what I feel on rides I have had. I struggled for grip everywhere on one, but other people seem to know how to make them work and grip. It seems that they are either gripping relentlessly or offer zero grip with nothing in between. Price wise, no idea cost around