Let Down By Lampkin

cota kid

In answer to Doug's comment regarding his performance at Sheffield, i quote, ' I was obviously very disappointed with my performance but I was most disappointed for letting you guys down'.

I hope I speak for the majority of trials riders in saying that Doug hasn't ever let his fans down. His 7 world outdoor and his 7 indoor titles bear testament to that.

If Doug carries on giving 110% as we know he will then I for one will not feel let down, regardless of the position in which he finishes.

Whilst he may not, at present, have a world title he will always be a true World Champion. Quite simply there isn't a current rider out there who can beat Dougie's 7 consequetive World Outdoor titles or even come close.

Viva Dougie

Well...lets not miss the point.

and the point is that Dougie certainly hasnt let us down.

He will ALWAYS be a credit to the sport..and a VERY professional sportsman.

The fact that he even makes a statement like that..proves it.

DOnt be too hard on yerself Dougie...your still the king in my book!! :):(

Back in '87 alot of guys used to sport decals that said, "100%" I have one that's Hot pink and blue which would've looked great on Johnny Anderson's Pink Honda, :( but alas it has been rendered unimpressive in view of the apparent change in the mathematical formula for percentages which can go as high as one million percent here in the new millenium. I went so far as to stick it on the back of my gas tank before a big race, but I ended up peeling it off and placing it on my toolbox where it will last a whole lot longer. As for Dougie, he's earned a well deserved Legendary status as truly one of the great trials riders of all time! Whatever he does from here he should try to do it gracefully. If declining results are to become the norm, it will be hard for him to stomach. EVERY single trials legend before him has been obliged by age to fade away. It's a bitter irony as we get really good at what we do, the relentless advance of time whittles away at our beleagured bodies. If we can't accept it gracefully we will be forced to accept it otherwise. All of us go down with a difference of style according to our personalities and upbringing. It is the single toughest challenge any of us will face in our lives. I find that so far it has been easier to keep trying than the letdown of giving up. No one gets to be world champion by not loving the sport enough to give so much effort year after year. Keep riding because you love the sport and results suddenly become less critical to our feelings of self worth. Go Dougie! Just ride for yourself and it'll all work out. :)

I have a book that I was given as a kid called "Schoolboy Motorcycle Sport" by Ralph Venables. There's a photo of Dougie aged 7 riding a full-size trials bike (I think it's a Cota 348) and he's got that classic Dougie "total commitment" look on his face, even at that age. The caption says something like "...one to watch in the future"! The will to win has obviously been there a long, long time and I believe that as soon as Dougie feels that he's no longer able to compete at the highest level he'll quit. That's how real legends are made. I hope and believe that were a long way off that time yet, though. 10 outdoor championships?

Yeah i read that Dabber, but reading down later in the interview he never mentioned it agian. Then in the trials torque bit it never mentioned Doug only ben and ??(i forget) . I think that he meant in the interview that he was coming back from Spain for the scottish ,for him to watch and Ben and the team to ride but for him to ride it. But when i first read it i thought the same as you !!

:)

The theme of this thread gives the impression Doug

is on a downward slope !!!!

NO WAY,

ya cant win everything all the time.

Not that I have ever won anything, anytime!

Lets see 2005/6 out first.

Whatever happens from now on he is still the World's

greatest trials rider, and it will take at least 7 years

to better that fact.

..........and remember the great Tarres fell off the top step twice to make a come back the following year.....

1987 - Jordi Tarres

1988 - Thierry Michaud

1989 - Jordi Tarres

1990 - Jordi Tarres

1991 - Jordi Tarres

1992 - Tommi Ahvala

1993 - Jordi Tarres

1994 - Jordi Tarres

1995 - Jordi Tarres

Btw, there's some great photos on Tarres's website:-

http://www.jorditarres.com/

Ian.