Slowing Down

clanky

Hi,

Congratulations on a great site, loads of information.

I'm about to buy my first trials bike after many years of riding sportsbikes on the road. I'm too aware of my own mortality these days ^_^

It's been 25 years since I rode my mates sherpa and I'm looking for something older to start on. I'm leaning toward a TY250 mono at the moment but have the chance of a 1991 Cota 310.

Any advice on which would be best to start on or possible other options?

Cheers.

Get TY250 (air cooled) . Get an R model or Pinky with disc brake. If you want something bit newer get TYZ (water cooled)

Take someone wth you who has owned one or knows what to look for. If you get a decent one it will last for years and cost very little to run. Quite a lot of the air cooled bikes may well be on their last rebore by now.

Alternatively, a huge great numb lump like a TYZ may put you off a bit (it put me off when i tried one)

Why handicap yourself with an old bike when you can pick up something like a Montesa 315 with its user-friendly power, light clutch, good brakes & decent suspension for very little money these days.

A really good condition 310 or TY will give you hours of fun and be capable of far more than you, but as mentioned above a more modern trials bike will be a lot easier to ride and therefore far more competitive.

The main thing I would advise is to buy by condition, a 10 year old minter is much better than a 3 year old nail. Things like tyres, c&s, seals and bearings soon add up and you so often hear of people doubling the initial price of their 'bargain' bike once they've spent the money doing it up.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. ^_^

Pete

I started trials on a TY250 mono and it was a good choice. After a year or so, I changed to a '97 270 Gas Gas and my riding ability went backwards for a couple of months. Compared to the Gas Gas, the TY was very smooth and everything happened pretty slow so there was time for corrections. Looking back I should have stayed on it longer. Quick reacting bikes are great but need to be pointed in the right direction and can punish poor throttle/ clutch control