'05 Vs '06 For A Trail/play Bike?

bigair

I am looking to upgrade from my '99 GG TXT 270 to a newer bike. From what I have read on here I like what I hear about Shercos. Trials bikes are very hard to find around here, but I have located a couple that are about 8 hours away that I am considering buying.

The first is a 2006 Sherco 2.9. Ad says, "I Bought this bike last year, rode it 2 times its just not for me. Runs perfect plastic in great shape tires have plenty of use left. This is a clean bike with little use and no abuse." An email from him says, "The previous owner has been riding trials bikes for many years, and gets 2 or 3 new bikes every year or so however, he doesn

Although there are differences, there is really nothing wrong with the earlier bike, specially if you like a chromed frame, which is nice in some ways.

The '06 motors were tuned a bit gentler it seems, but that bike does get a bad rap for rear shock problems and leaks. The steering is a bit less rakish, yet less radius.

Overall, I would rate them fairly equally, price and condition balancing the rest. Still typacally reliable as the high points of maintenance are the same. First point being to never wash the bike without pulling the air filter and blocking the hole, or visa vie.

Presuming that the condition is the same :-

Offer the 05 guy $3000 ans see what happens, the 06 may crack it's frame and the rear shock might collapse...not what you want when you're out on those big American trails.

For me the only thing I would be missing out on by ignoring the 06 is the 06 has better steering and adjustable(?) forks,not a priority when you're trailing...IMHO ^_^

I could be wrong but aren't the fuel tanks on the 06s only 2.7litres or so

I've used my jarvis rep which is a pre production 05 for a lot of riding like you're describing & find that on a typical 6hr ride you can easily get away with carrying 2 extra litres, often I can come home with 1/2 a tank left

I'd suggest fitting a mud kit below the radiator & making a pre-filter as the main precautions, ARC levers are also a good investment