Air Box Horror!

bhima

Don't panic. I'll recount 2 situations that come to mind. My riding buddy for the last 10 years never, I say never oils his filter. He doesn't beleive in it. Don't ask why, but we ride every week and his bike is a 2006. He does wash the filter twice a year or so with soap and water. He has never had the bike apart and it runs fine.

Next story. Another friend bought a used Beta and after 6 months of riding it stopped running one day. We pulled the carb off and found the boot was inside on the back side. The carb was so full of dirt and oily mud that all the passages were stopped. Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled. Ran fine for the next 2 years he had it.

One last story. On one of my new bikes, I ran it for a few rides, dumped the oil then put it away drained and empty. Yep you guessed it, forgot to refill and went out riding with no oil. It was a short ride day, maybe only 2 hours. came home only to find the full bottle of oil on the bench. Filled it up, ran it, drained it, then refilled and almost no problems. The output shaft weeped oil and the clutch wore a little requiring a clutch shim endplay adjustment.

Betas are built well. They aren't made with outsourced Chinese parts. This is why they last. You may pay a little more up front, but you get what you pay for.

07 Beta

What level do you and your mates ride and what succes do you have.

Engine response and consistancy is critical on a trials bike and dirty filters, blocked jets and worn piston and rings can not help this.

Any failure on the air filtration side can only increase the chance of poor performance.

I might be a bit extreme but will never take a bike out unless there is a newly cleaned and oiled air filter in place.

Thanks for all the feedback.

i bought the bike -'started on it today, gearbox oil looks recent, fan cuts in and out as it should, starts first kick, engine runs well, just need to do wheel bearings, chain and sprocket, fitted new plug and new air filter element, front and rear suspension works as it should, tyres are servicable, so it will be ready to ride in an event. no more to say really,'

the bike has 2 small holes in the air box above the back wheel. i rode about 10 hours in a dusty gritty area.

the air box and carb were extreamly dirty.

On purchase i was told the knocking was piston slap and goes when hot. its got worse!

i will speak with dealer tomorrow.

i want to upgrade to something newwer. i dont need all this hassle!

Edited by bhima

Thanks for all the feedback.

i bought the bike -'started on it today, gearbox oil looks recent, fan cuts in and out as it should, starts first kick, engine runs well, just need to do wheel bearings, chain and sprocket, fitted new plug and new air filter element, front and rear suspension works as it should, tyres are servicable, so it will be ready to ride in an event. no more to say really,'

the bike has 2 small holes in the air box above the back wheel. i rode about 10 hours in a dusty gritty area.

the air box and carb were extreamly dirty.

On purchase i was told the knocking was piston slap and goes when hot. its got worse!

i will speak with dealer [advirtises on here!] tomorrow.

i want to upgrade to something newwer. i dont need all this hassle!

if you buy somenthing needid wheel bearings chain and sprockets then id expect other items to be worn or dirty. dirty filters are a no no in any vehicle regardless as anything passing through goes into the motor.